My Best Friend

Austin was right. I fell asleep soon after we took off and the next thing I knew he was nudging me to wake up for landing. “We’re almost there.”

I sat up a little bit and handed his earphone back to him. I stretched a little. The seat was uncomfortable, and that’s when I realized there was no turning back anymore. I was in Texas. “What‘s next?” I asked. “Are we heading home?”

Austin nodded. “Back to my house. We kind of have the guest room set up for you. It‘ll do for tonight. We can rearrange it and stuff tomorrow. I‘m recommending a shower and bed. That‘s what I‘m doing.”

I stayed quiet until the plane landed and they let us off. Even then I didn’t say much. I followed Austin and Scott followed me. We ended up outside with our bags, staring at an escalade. I didn’t know whose it was, but when they put my bags in the trunk and climbed in the front, I assumed I was to sit in the back, so I did. 

Scott put the car in drive and backed out of the airport. We started driving into what I assumed was the city of San Antonio itself. Huge buildings towered over us. The same kind of buildings I thought would eat me up when I was younger. The area was beautiful. It was late at night, but the October air was still warm through the open windows. The loose hair that fell out of my ponytail blew in the wind around my face and tickled my nose.

The city was beautiful and my eyes stayed glued to the window as we passed more and more buildings until things finally started to settle into a rural, suburban area. The houses got larger the farther we went and I realized that Austin lived in a neighborhood where everyone had a good amount of money. Scott continued turning corners until he pulled into the driveway of a relatively large house, even though it was small compared to all of the ones around it. 

Austin jumped out and hurried to the door, which his mom had already unlocked before we got there. They hugged and I watched while carefully stepping out of the vehicle. They talked for a short second before Austin came back and pulled both of our bags out of the trunk. “Come on Olivia. Let‘s get you settled. Come meet my mom.”

I followed him to the door and into their living room. There was a large, plush leather couch in the middle sitting in front of a big screen TV. The decorating was simple; just family pictures hanging on the walls and standing on tables. The stairs were immediately to my left and a hallway led out of the far end of the room. The layout appeared to be similar to my house, but I assumed it was probably a lot different. Austin sat my bag at the bottom of the stairs. “Mom, this is Olivia.”

She came over and shook my hand. She continued to go on with the nice to meet you rant and I smiled and kept up with the whole thing. As amazing as it was I was feeling very homesick. Austin offered to give me a tour and I accepted without a second thought. He showed me the entire house, which was actually a lot bigger on the inside than it looked on the outside. The house had four floors, including the basement. The living room, kitchen, and dining room were on the first floor. The second floor was mostly for his mom. It held her room, an office, a bathroom, and a fitness room. The third floor seemed to be privately reserved for Austin and myself. 

His room was the first thing across the hall at the top of the stairs. My room, the guest room, was right next to it. I had my own private bathroom, and Austin had one across the hall. Austin had a separate music room next to the bathroom with all of his guitars and a ton of his fan posters that got sent to him. The basement was the game and movie room with all of the video game systems, board games, and DVDs. 

Austin sat my bags in the guest room. “So like I said, it‘s only kind of set up for you. We can rearrange all the furniture and stuff if you want. I know not everyone likes having their bed in the middle and all that. So,” he paused and looked around, not sure of what to say. “Are you cool for tonight? I can help push stuff around if you want.”