Sudden Illness

We walked into the pizzeria and it was almost totally empty. There was a mom with two little kids in the corner, and the employees behind the counter. We seated ourselves by the soda machine and waited for someone to come take our order.

A young girl who was probably around eighteen came over with glasses to fill up ourselves at the soda machines and a tablet to take our pizza order. “Hi guys, my name‘s Jennie and I‘ll be your server today. Here are the cups for your drinks. You can help yourselves over at the soda fountains. What kind of pizza can we get you guys today?”

Mama smiled. “I think we‘ll take a large pepperoni. That should be enough to go around.”

Jennie nodded. “I‘ll put your order right in.” She turned to leave and did a double take to Austin. “Hey! You‘re Austin Mahone aren‘t you?”

He blushed. “Yeah. That‘s me.”

She grinned. “I guess you‘ll be back tomorrow then, huh? My dad‘s so excited to have your meet and greet here. His making my little brothers give out pizza coupons at the door like anyone‘s going to care about the pizza.”

“Your dad‘s the owner?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Jennie admitted. “He‘s all about getting more business. He wanted to give out pizza samples, but we told him he‘d have to make it himself, so he settled for the coupons.”

Austin smiled. “It‘s a good idea. We‘re excited for tomorrow, too. We‘re just waiting to announce it. We can‘t have TOO many people show up.”

She laughed. “That‘s not how my dad sees it. The more the merrier. I‘ll go get your order in and tell my dad you‘re here. He‘ll freak.”

She left and we all looked at each other. “Can you imagine them giving out pizza samples at the door?” Mama asked us.

I shook my head. “No, but I‘d love to see them try.”

She grinned. “So would I.”

That’s when a plump, jolly-looking guy came out from behind the counter. “Austin!” He exclaimed and went in for a hug. I couldn’t help but laugh, and neither could Austin.

“Dad!” I heard Jennie call from the back. “I thought we had a no hugging-the-customers rule? Famous or not.”

He turned his head without letting go of Austin. “It doesn‘t apply to him. He likes my hugs.”

She walked out with a smile on her face. “What about my hugs?”

The owner shook his head. “Nope. Only my hugs.” And pulled Austin closer to his man boobs.

Jennie threw her hands up and walked back to the kitchen. “I give up, Dad,” she called over her shoulder.

As soon as she was gone the owner let go of Austin. “You have to learn to keep your daughter away from the boys early.” He winked at us. “My name‘s Pablo and I‘m the owner of this fine establishment. It‘s nice to meet you. This means I won‘t have to get in line tomorrow.”

We all stood up and he shook hands with Mama and Drew and took a good look at me. “You must be Olivia. The girl who‘s been causing all of the buzz around here lately aren‘t you.”

I smiled slightly. “Yeah.”

“Well, it‘s good to meet you, Olivia. You‘ll be here tomorrow, too, right?”

“That‘s the plan.”

Austin wrapped his arm around my waist. “No worries, Pablo. I wouldn‘t leave her behind if she begged me to.”