My First Date

The next week passed by without any changes. Alex’s fans still hated me and I went through the awkward experience of trying to survive where I didn’t belong. Alex was at school everyday, so we only got to talk on video chat. Austin spent most of his time writing songs and practicing other songs for his videos. I sat in the corner most of the time and wrote while I listened. The lyrics he wrote were flawless, and I could hear the emotion in his voice when he sang them. My book came along great and I figured I probably had less than 60 pages before the story came to a close unless I thought up I new part in the plot, which happened to me a lot.

I stayed quiet, but my appetite came back. I never responded to calls from home. I was afraid being homesick would make everything worse. Alex and Austin’s fans never apologized, but I didn’t sit around and wait for them to. I gave up hope that that was ever going to happen.

Friday night was when I finally got to see Alex again. He showed up in his red car right before dinner time, and after he and Austin played video games for awhile he took me out to the movies. 

I smiled as I got ready in my room. For the first time since I landed I put some effort into my appearance. I didn’t really dress up, but I wasn’t just wearing whatever and an old t-shirt. I kept my make up to a minimum and actually straightened my hair. Alex met me at the bottom of the stairs. Austin and his mom were standing side by side in the doorway of the kitchen. Alex pulled me into a hug. “Ahh! The princess has arrived!”

Austin smirked. “Don‘t get too many ideas Alex. She has to be home by ten.”

I blushed and looked away. “You have such a dirty mind,” Alex said. “It‘s just a movie and some ice cream. She‘ll be fine.”

Next thing I knew we were in his car, and he was holding my hand as we flew down the road. He smiled at me when we stopped at a red light. “You look pretty tonight.” There was a silence as I turned my head away and blushed. “I missed you,” he said.

I blushed brighter. I wasn’t used to being complimented. “I missed you too,” I admitted, but I was surprised he heard me. My voice seemed so soft all of the sudden. 

Alex squeezed my hand and kept his eyes on the road. “You ready for the movie? I hear it‘s really scary.”

I laughed and turned back towards him with the color in my face returning to normal. “Is your idea of a good first date to try and scare me? I don‘t scare easily.”

I watched him smile as he turned into the movie theater parking lot. “Well then I guess you‘ll have to hold ME if I get scared.”

I smiled. How did I miss that one? He wanted to scare me so I would bury my face in his chest. The previews were already starting when we sat down with our popcorn. He grabbed my hand again. “I‘m here if you get scared.”

I rolled my eyes. “Dillon used to drag me to scary movies all of the time before. I‘ve only screamed once.”

Alex wiggled his eyebrows like a creepy old pedophile. “They say this is the scariest movie ever created.”

I sighed. “Get a life Alex.”

He squeezed my hand. “You‘re pretty.”

I kissed his cheek. “Flattery isn‘t going to make the movie any scarier.”

The movie started and like I predicted, I didn’t get scared. Maybe because his plan to scare me had completely failed, that or I just really like squeezing his hand and it distracted me from the movie. I’m not sure which, but just to make him think he was successful, I made sure to shudder into his shoulder a couple of times so he would hold onto me.