Hospital Story

I woke up hours later with a horrible neck cramp and looked around. The walls were white, the floor tiles were green, and Austin was asleep on a pink recliner in the corner. I was in the hospital. An IV was sticking out of the top of my hand and was connected to the a little bag on the pole next to my bed. My heart rate was displayed on the monitor by the door.

I pressed the button on the side of my bed frame and had the bed push me into a sitting position. Austin shifted with the sound of my movement and sprung to my bedside. He sat on the edge and grabbed my hands. “Hey sweetie,” he said softly.

I blinked as the door to the room popped open and the light brightened. “Her heart rate came up,” the young, blonde, male nurse said as he stood at the door. “We had to make sure there was a reason. How are you feeling?”

My voice was scratchy and quiet when I replied. “I feel like I‘m dead.” I paused. “And I have to pee.”

The nurse smiled. “You have a bedpan. Just go.”

I looked up at him with the best amused face I could manage. “That‘s funny,” my voice whispered. I cleared my throat. “I use the potty.”

The nurse stepped closer. “Do you have the strength to get up and walk?”

I looked at him. “Don‘t know. Don‘t care. I‘m getting there if one of you has to help me crawl.”

He sighed and pulled the IV pole around the bed and helped me swing my legs around and sit up on my own. My head spun from the sudden movement and I grabbed it with both hands. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

I nodded and used all of the energy I had to try and stand up, but barely got my butt off the bed. “I‘m gonna need a little help here,” I whispered again.

His strong, tan arm was pushed under my arms and he pulled me into a standing position and let me shuffle my feet into the bathroom as he pushed the IV pole along with me. We reached the toilet and I used the back of it to hold myself up.

The nurse stood there. “Do you need h-”

I cut him off. “Just go.”

He smiled. “I‘ll be right outside the door if you need me.”

He left and I took a second to just stand there. I couldn’t figure out why I was so embarrassed to have him around. I mean at this point I was literally wearing nothing but the thin hospital gown. Nothing. Chances are that if the shifts hadn’t changed since I got here, that was his doing, and if it wasn’t it was someone else’s. regardless though, part of his job was to see those things, but I didn’t want my things to be seen. That’s why I was super embarrassed to admit that ties on the back of my gown had come undone while I was doing my business and I was incapable of retying them myself. Along with that I also discovered the arrival of my monthly friend, and my incapability to stand up on my own.

“Are you okay?” he called through the door.

I swallowed my fears. “I have a few minor complications,” I admitted as loudly as I could.

He cracked the door and made his way inside. “And your complications would be?”

I sighed. “Knots, blood, and lack of muscle strength.”

He looked severely confused. “Knots?” he asked.

“My gown,” I stated.

“Blood?”

“I‘m not pregnant.”

He held back a smirk. “Muscle strength?”

“I can‘t get up.”