Fear Factor

20 minutes later I was shoved in the back seat in between Drew and Cole laughing as we cruised down the road. Robert was driving and Zach was in the passenger’s seat. Tyler couldn’t make it. Something about some family thing.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

Zach turned around in his seat. “You’ll see. We have the whole day planned out. You’ll have fun.”

The boys beside me just shrugged and kept talking about whatever it was. My mind was somewhere else as Cole told his story. I couldn’t stop thinking about last night. What if we would have wanted to go farther? Would I have stopped Austin if he tried? Would the thought of doing that with me ever cross Austin’s mind? Did he see me that way at all. How much did he really like me?

“Hey. Liv? Are you feeling okay. You’re acting a little weird,” Drew said, bringing me out of my trance.

I shook my head like that would clear my mind. “I’m fine. Maybe some of the medicine just didn’t wear off.”

He gave me a careful look. “Well if you feel bad all the sudden don’t be afraid to tell us. We don’t want you doing anything too crazy if you’re sick.”

I was still stunned by how much all of these guys seemed to care about me. I loved each of them with all my heart, but maybe that was because I was some crazy obsessed fan before all of this even started. What did I do to deserve such amazing people in my life?

The car stopped. “Here it is,” Robert said.

I looked at the building in front of us. Bowling, rock climbing, movies, and ice skating were all on the sign. Cole and Drew jumped out. “Oh my god! I always wanted to go here. Are we going to do all of it?”

Rob nodded. “Austin got a ton of free passes. It’s all free.”

I’d had no idea what to expect when Robert picked me up, but this would have been the last thing I imagined. Rob pulled out all of our passes as we walked through the door. We were each given VIP wristbands. Everything in the building, including the food was free. I followed the guys into the first room. I guessed we were rock climbing first. We had to meet with an instructor first. It wasn’t one of those extra safe rock walls that most places have. Someone else is holding the rope that keeps you from falling to your death.

The instructor went over all of the important techniques on how not to let anyone fall to their death and handed everyone a harness. He came around and checked them to make sure they weren’t too loose. “Alright. You all look good. Happy climbing and stay safe.”

He smiled and walked off to another group of people who had just arrived. We each found helmets and some spots along the wall. Robert looked at me. “Do you want to climb first? I’ll belay for you.”

I must have looked as nervous as I felt. “I’ll climb next to you,” Drew volunteered. “Cole can belay for me and Zach can be there for back up. You’ll be fine. Did you ever climb before?”

I shook my head. “I was always afraid of climbing even when I went to places that had belay safety devices. I’m afraid to fall.”

Rob put a hand on my shoulder. “Zach and me won’t take our eyes off you the whole time. We won’t let you slip.”

I nodded. “I guess I can try.”

Everyone got ready and into position. “I’m ready whenever you want to go,” Robert said to me.

I nodded again and put my hands on the wall. I glanced up to see what I had to look forward to. The wall was easily over 30 feet tall. We were on a beginners climbing wall, but that didn’t matter to me too much. I was still half convinced I would die. It’s not that I didn’t trust Robert, because I knew he wouldn’t drop me, I just wasn’t sure I could do it.