Be Alright

I woke up to the sound of several teenage guys fighting about what they should wear and who was borrowing whose hat. There were clothes spread out all across the living room and I was totally surrounded by arguing. “Hey!”

They all looked at me. “If you guys are going to fight then someone‘s going to have to take me somewhere else. I‘m trying to sleep.”

Austin came over to my side. “It‘s getting too late for sleeping. You have to get dressed whether you‘re meeting people or not. You need to try and eat something too. We have to know if we need to find another place to put you.”

“It‘s only two!” I argued. “The meet and greet isn‘t until six.”

“I know, but we have to be at the pizza place before we announce it because otherwise we‘ll get mobbed on the way in like at the mall.”

I glared. “I don‘t wanna.”

He brushed my loose hair back from my face. “I know, Livi, but you have to come. What are we going to do if you get more sick and you‘re home alone?”

I stared at him. “Dave will take you back upstairs to get dressed and I‘ll have some toast all ready for you when you get back.”

“What should I wear?”

“Jeans and a t shirt,” he answered.“My mom will fix your hair. Don‘t worry about anything.”

I took my good old time getting dressed and had no problem letting Dave carry me back down the stairs. Austin was waiting in the kitchen already dressed and the other guys were still arguing in the basement over hats.

“Your toast my fine lady,” he said and handed it to me. I crashed into a chair in exhaustion from walking all the way from the stairs. “Thanks. Now bring my bucket over here.”

He delivered it and I slowly made my way across the piece of bread to try and finish it. I wasn’t successful. Austin wiped my face. “I‘m sorry you‘re not feeling better,” he apologized.

“It‘s not your fault.”

He sighed. “I know.”

Mama Mahone came in and re-braided my hair before trying to get everyone out and into the van they’d rented for the evening. I sat in the back between Austin and Robert with my bucket conveniently placed on my lap. They alternated turns wiping my mouth after the disposal of my toast particles I had recently tried to eat.

In the parking lot of the pizza place I laid my head back and closed my eyes. “Can I stay here?”

Austin kissed my forehead. “No. We have some blankets, pillows, and a little gate so we can set you up inside.”

Without opening my eyes, I smirked. “What‘s the little gate for? Are you afraid I‘ll run away?”

He chuckled quietly as everyone else climbed out. “No. We‘re afraid someone else will run in. The gate will slow them down long enough for someone to get there. Unless they‘re trained to jump hurdles.”

I sighed. “Encouraging.”

“Come on. I‘ll be in the same gate. It‘ll be wedged between my table and the wall. You‘ll be right behind me on the floor I‘m going to make them mop before you lay down.”

“I don‘t wanna walk!”

“Well you still have to get up. I can make Dave carry you, but you‘ll get hurt if he tries to pull you out. Come on,” he said while lightly pulling on my wrist.

I finally opened my eyes and met his. “Not until I get a hug.”

Austin sat back down and pulled me gently into his warm arms. “I love you,” I whispered.