Follow Your Heart

I pulled back after awhile and stared back into his eyes. I was smiling and breathing heavy. My first reaction was to think about how amazing that was and to call Kylie and tell her every detail, but then I realized I couldn’t. If I told anyone it would come back and Alex would find out. I’d already hurt him enough, and I didn’t want to ruin his and Austin’s friendship. I kept smiling though. “What did we just do?”

He kissed me again, but more gently so that our lips barely brushed over each other. “We kissed.”

I blushed. “I know, but what about Alex?”

He grinned bigger. “What about him?”

“I broke up with him yesterday. He‘s your best friend. What if he finds out?”

Austin brushed my hair away from my eyes. “So what if he does. I never told you why it really got to me so much when he kissed you the first time. It was because we both decided we liked you the night before and we swore neither one of us would go after you. We said you were going to have to make the first move, and he broke the rules. It‘s all fair now.”

I sighed. “Austin I don‘t just want to be part of some stupid game. I‘m just a girl. There‘s nothing that special about me anyway! First Alex, then Drew, and now you. That‘s ridiculous. No one likes me that much. ”

“You don‘t realize how special you are. You‘re talented, honest, and beautiful. What else could any guy ask for? Do you really not see everything that you have to offer?”

“No Austin. I guess I don‘t see, but I do know that I don‘t want to be a part in your stupid game with Alex. I‘m better than that, and I know you know it too.”

He took my hand and replied, “It‘s not a game between me and him. It‘s two guys chasing the same girl.”

I shook my head and pulled my hand away. “To me that‘s just a game. Maybe I‘m just not ready for a boyfriend yet. Maybe the whole thing is too much.”

He sighed like he’d been expecting me to say that the whole time. “I know that‘s how it feels, but I know you felt that when we kissed. It was impossible to miss it. You felt it right?”

“Yeah," I sighed. "I felt it.” 

“What did you think about it?”

“What am I supposed to think?" I asked. "It was the first time I felt anything like it. It was the first time I kissed anyone but Alex. My heartbeat took off and I don't even know how to put it into words. I'm the author here. That should be easy.”

He pushed my hair behind my ear and dropped his hand. “Tell me you didn‘t enjoy it.”

I bit my lip and let my eyes fall to the floor. As much as I wanted to stand up for myself and not let him and Alex turn my love into a competition, I couldn’t say I didn’t. All I was thinking about was that kiss and how I wanted to kiss him again, and again, and maybe another time or two. I didn’t respond.

“See. Everyone likes the feeling a kiss like that gives them. Please just give me a chance.”

I looked into his begging eyes. “But what about Alex?”

His eyes didn’t shift. “He‘ll get over it. We don‘t even have to tell him if it makes you feel better.”

I looked away. “I don‘t know. I need time to think about it, Austin.”

He smiled and held my face with one of his hands for a minute before standing up. “Take all the time in the world.”

He walked up the stairs and left me on the couch wondering what I could possibly do next. All I wanted was him, but I didn’t want to hurt Alex either. I decided to call Dillon. I knew I could trust him not to say a word to anybody.