World of Surprises

"What? Why? Are you okay?" Austin asked.

"I just... I feel like this isn't working out. Not us. We're doing just fine. I never really write anymore. I'm really behind in school. I'm just not sure this is what I want. I want to get published, but maybe I'm not ready. Maybe I'm rushing into it."

Austin played with my fingers. "You know. I feel like that all the time. Ever since me and Alex started this thing and people started paying attention. I kept asking myself if it was even worth it. I keep asking myself if all this work was in vain. That's why I was so captivated by your story when I found it. I thought that maybe I'd find someone who understood these feelings. Its normal to feel like that."

"I'm losing everything though," I argued. "My dad, Kylie, my honor roll grades. I think I might even be losing my sanity."

"Chasing your dreams is all about sacrifice," Austin said softly. "Its not worth anything if it's free."

"But an ice cream cone isn't worth your life savings."

He sighed and rolled his eyes. "You want to get published right?"

I nodded. "Ever since I was little."

"Then we can work it out. Scott and I can help you refocus and we can calculate the losses once you're on the bestsellers list."

He flipped us around so he was leaning against his wall of fan posters with his legs spread out and I was sitting between them with my back against his chest. "Do you really think I can do it?" I asked.

"Of course. We'll talk to Scott tomorrow about how we're going to get you back on track."

His phone rang on the other side of the bed and he stretched to get it. "Speak of the devil," he mumbled under his breath as he answered. "Hello?"

I relaxed into him and he played with my fingers with his hand that wasn't on the phone. I heard Scott. "I have some amazing news! I'm going to need you to meet me at my office at 7 o'clock tomorrow morning."

I groaned. "That's so early!"

Scott laughed a little. "Do you have me on speaker Austin?"

"No. Just ignore her. What's the big news?"

"Chase and Universal records just called me. They want to negotiate a deal for you."

Austin froze and I swung around to look at him. I never saw anyone look so shocked. He couldn't even respond.

"Wait. Austin's getting signed?" I asked excitedly. "Or is it just a meeting like last time?"

"It sounds like they really want to work something out," Scott said. "Don't get your hopes too high. I don't want us signing a bad deal."

"But its possible?" I asked.

Scott sighed. "Yes. He could be a real recording artist by tomorrow night."

Austin unfroze and threw his arms around me. "Oh my god. You're kidding. I actually did it?"

Scott laughed again. "Calm down kid. You didn't sign anything yet."

"Well wait. What do we do?"

"The same thing as last time. Don't be so eager. Just dress like you have some class and bring Dave and your mom this time. They want to meet your team."

Austin nodded even though Scott couldn't see. "This is so amazing. I never thought we'd make it this far. I can't even... Liv, go get Dave and see if my mom's home."

I jumped up and ran for the stairs, getting dizzy while I did. "Dave! Where are you?"

"I'm in the kitchen. What do you want?"