Apologies

I was pretty restless all night. I kept tossing and turning, but I never totally woke up. I know I was on the verge of a nightmare all night. Austin got his wish. I did have sweet dreams about him, but every time they got sweet, he got up and left, moving to Miami. I woke up late in the morning with tears streaming down my face because of the dream I was having that kept replaying on a loop.

Austin would give a nice, cute little speech confessing his love for me, sing to me softly with his guitar, and kiss me passionately. Then we would fall asleep in each other’s arms and when I woke up he was never there. He would be in Miami without me.

The worst part about it wasn’t just that it seemed like it was real, but that within a few days, it could be. It was almost lunch time when I looked in the mirror and wiped away the tears that were running down my cheeks. My eyes were puffier than they’d ever been. If Austin saw me, he would know for sure that I’d been crying in my sleep.

I heard the front door slam downstairs. Austin probably just got back from Alex’s house. I knew he would’ve stayed longer, but he had to pack for Florida tomorrow. I locked my bedroom door and rushed to the bathroom. With my hair natural, it didn’t look half bad, so I left it, but my puffy eyes wouldn’t do.

I washed my face and put on tons of makeup to cover it. Surprisingly you couldn’t tell I used a quarter bottle of concealer under my eyes. I put on my normal eye makeup, so he wouldn’t suspect anything.

I didn’t want there to be any chance of him changing his mind about moving to Miami. I knew that if he knew I was crying over him he wouldn’t go. I couldn’t risk his dreams like that.

Austin came knocking on my door as I finished fixing my face. I opened it and smiled at him. “Good morning popstar!” I said.

“Good morning to you too gorgeous. Mom said you never came downstairs yet. She thought you were still in bed.”

I shook my head. “I got up about a half hour ago. I just decided to do my makeup first.”

He nodded. “Well it looks great.” Kissing my forehead, he pushed his way into my room and found himself a seat on my bed. I sat down next to him and we faced each other. He took my hands in his and started swinging them back and forth.

“I’m sorry I didn’t kiss you goodnight before you left last night,” he apologized while keeping his eyes on the floor. “I was just caught up in talking to Alex again. I've missed him. I'm really sorry if I made you sad."

I gave a weak smile. "Why would you think that?"

He shrugged. "It was a jerky thing to just forget you like that. I thought that maybe it'd upset you. Well I mean Alex brought up kissing goodnight and then I started feeling really bad."

I raised my eyebrows. "You and Alex were talking about me?"

He smiled and kissed the back of my hand. "How couldn't we? Guys gossip about their love lives too."

I put on a smile. "Oh really?"

Austin nodded and stared into my eyes. "Hey. Are you okay? Your eyes are all red."

I felt my face slip. "Really? It must be my allergies. It happens sometimes."

He gave me a slow nod. I knew he didn't believe me, but I didn't have the heart to tell him the truth. "So you said you'd pay me back, didn't you."

Austin smirked a bit. "Of course I will."

He reached out and kicked my door so it was almost closed and pulled my face into his hands. He gave me a quick peck on the lips. "That's for missing last night," he whispered and pecked me again. "That was to say good morning, and this," he paused to grin at me, "is going to make up for all the times I've hurt you."