Homecoming

The crew came in at three and sat around my room. Alex was there. He’d left for some kind of therapy after lunch, but he came right back. The doctors told him he’d be getting out of the hospital the next day. He was really excited. We were still waiting to find out if I’d be spending another night there.

Austin, Robert, and Tyler were all on my bed. They had me sitting in the chair Austin had been camped out in. I was feeling a little bit stronger now that I could keep food down. So far I’d had crackers, water, and some apple sauce. My stomach was still doing flips, but my fever was down to just above 100. Alex had his wheelchair parked right next to me and Zach was leaning on the wall on my other side. Robert was telling the story about him going to school late.

“I walked into second period and Mrs. Robin gave me the stink eye and she was all like ‘Were you at an appointment?’ So obviously I told her I wasn’t and I kid you not. She gave me a five minute lecture on how I should be prompt with my arrival to school every morning. I even explained that I was in here and she didn’t care. She gave me detention for next week.”

I felt so bad. That was definitely my fault, but I knew he’d be mad if I said anything, so I let it go and just laughed along with everyone else. My nurse came in then with a tray. “Whoa!” she exclaimed. “No one invited me to your party.” Everyone laughed along with her. “I have a special treat. If you can eat this muffin, and keep it down for an hour, they’ll let you go home tonight.”

Tyler translated the conversation onto the whiteboard for Alex and Austin hopped off the bed and took the muffin from her. She smiled and left. All the boys looked at me. “You think you can do it?” Alex asked.

I shrugged. “We’ll find out. I’m willing to risk it.” Tyler wrote for me.

Austin sat the tray on my lap and I peeled the paper away from the blueberry muffin. There was a fork on the side of the tray. “Let me feed you,” Austin begged me.

I shot him a look of disbelief. “I have a stomach virus. I’m not paralyzed.”

He gave me the most adorable puppy face I’ve ever seen in my life. “Please. I know you’re tired. Let me help you.”

I sighed. “This is stupid, Austin. I can do it myself.”

He ignored and picked the fork up, scraping a small section of the muffin onto it. “Open up.”

All of the guys were laughing at us. “Give me the fork, Austin! This is embarrassing. I can do it!”

“Open,” he demanded.

I pressed my lips together as tight as I could and shook my head. “You’re being a baby,” Austin said. “Come here.”

He pulled on my arm and to get me to lean toward him. He sighed and handed the tray to Zach before literally picking me up and sitting me on his lap as he sat in my chair. He picked up the fork again and held me close. Austin kissed my cheek and then the spot right in front of my ear. “Please open up. I just want to feed you and take you home. It’ll just be us then,” he whispered quietly in my ear. I blushed.

“Hey there!” Robert called out. “None of that. What'd you say to her? Her face is on fire. Just give in Liv. That boy is as stubborn as anyone. You’ll starve before he gives in.”

I sighed and opened my mouth. Austin smiled and force fed me my muffin, even wiping up the crumbs when he spilled. "Now you just got to keep that in your tummy."

I sighed and we all sat in silence for a bit. "Austin,” I said, breaking the silence.

"Yes, beautiful?”