Having a Voice

Jake called me early the next morning and we talked for hours. I told him how homesick I was and he told me that I could just come home. “No one‘s making you stay there Olivia. We‘re all just hoping you follow your dreams.”

“I don‘t want to come home and give up Jake! I want to make my dreams come true. I love it here, I just want you guys to be here with me.”

We hung up after I swore I wasn’t coming back. I didn’t know what to do with myself. It was seven in the morning and I wanted to go home. The problem was that I was already “home”. Austin had a meeting with Scott at the recording studio at nine and asked me to come along. I knew what that meant.

I wandered out of my room with my laptop to Austin’s mini recording studio down the hall where he used to do his Ustreams until I came along. I slumped down in the corner and started working on my story. It all seemed so out of place. I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t just get used to being in San Antonio. I felt so uncomfortable when I looked around. I thought that after being here for a little while I’d be able to accept the fact that I wasn’t home, but I couldn’t.

I was typing for about a half hour when Austin came in, looking drunk with sleep. “Good morning,” he said and started stretching. 

I looked up. “Hi.”

He leaned up against the wall. “How‘s your story coming?”

I shrugged. “Good.”

He sank down to the floor next to me. “You ready for the meeting with Scott?”

I shook my head. “I kind of just want to go home.”

Austin rubbed his eyes. “You‘re giving up this easy? You‘ve come so far already. Alex would be crushed if you left.”

“I don‘t want to leave,” I told him. “I just miss everyone so much. Nothing‘s the same here. I miss Dillon and Jake.”

Austin sighed. “You want a hug?”

I wrapped my arms around his waist, and he stroked his fingers through my knotted hair. “No one said this would be easy. We just said it‘d be worth it.”

I laughed. “Are you running out of your own wisdom and stealing from others? I’ve heard that before.”

He laughed with me. “Give me some credit. I just woke up. Now come on, we have to get ready so we don‘t miss our recording slot. Scott gets his panties in a bunch if he has to reschedule.”

I laughed again and smiled. He stood up and pointed. “I made you smile!”

I got dressed and straightened my hair, deciding to put some effort into my appearance that day. Alex sent me a good morning text. I smiled and met Austin at the front door where Scott was about to pick us up. Nothing is cuter than a good morning text from your boyfriend. 

The studio was in a huge building in downtown San Antonio. The entire lobby was full of expensive, modern furniture. All the walls and floors were shades of orange and all of the furniture was perfect white. Needless to say, it was the classiest place I’d set foot in. Ever. Every square inch was spotless. I kind of wished I could buy some new white socks and slide around on the floor. 

Austin took me by the wrist and guided me through an array of hallways as I looked around. “It‘s nice isn’t it?” I nodded. “Yeah. It‘s a good thing Scott has friends here. I record for free.”

My eyes popped slightly. What kind of people did Scott know? Next thing I knew he was going to be telling me a story about his vacation with Bill Gates and his date with Megan Fox. The studio itself seemed even nicer, not that I had anything to compare it to other than TV and music videos. Scott took a seat in front of the soundboard and Austin and I sat on a small sofa off to the side.