Freedom of the Purest Forms

I wrapped my coat tightly around me, hoping to shield my body. I wasn't a bumping pregnant woman, but I felt like everyone who looked at me could tell that I was different. I felt better with the way my light jacket hung away from me. Besides, the early spring tended to get cold suddenly.

I had to tell someone. I knew that today I would find out it was a boy, so I was going to a Healers later in the day, but I wanted to say something. There was only one couple I knew who had a baby of their own. I wanted to hold Eleise to know that I was ready for this too. 

I ducked out of my room. The halls were quiet this morning. I turned a corner-

-and ran right into Nox.

"Good morning," he grinned, his Nixie fangs glowing in the light.

"Morning," I nodded quickly.

"Where are you off to?" he reached out a hand to me. 

"To see Caius and Sal," I answered, wavering only slightly.

"What's wrong?" His face fluttered. 

Damn it. I forgot that no matter what I did, Nox could see straight through me. This was the bane of being his friend. He knew whatever you were thinking, no matter how well you lied. 

"Nothing," I crossed my arms.

"There's something weird about your heart," he stepped closer. "It's almost echoing. That's not a good sign. You could have a heart problem."

"Nox, I-"

"Wait."

He said it so sternly I froze. He forced my wrists to my side, leaning close to my chest. I closed my eyes as he knelt. His ear hesitated above my waist. He pressed into my stomach, wrapping his arms around me. 

"Thalia," he looked up. I could see the beginning of tears on his face. "You've got a baby in there."

"I know," I covered my face. "I've only just been married. I wasn't ready for it to be this early-"

"You knew?"

"Yeah."

"And you were going to tell Caius and Salvador before me?!" he was insulted.

"I wanted to be near Eleise so that..." I collapsed. "I don't know if I can do this."

"Are you shitting me?" Nox perked up. "Thalia, you have one of the kindest, loving souls I know, even if you did go a bit nuts there. You were practically made to be a mother. It's your entire personality. You'll be just fine at this."

"You think?" I winced.

"I know, Thalia Nigh."

"Not Nigh anymore," I chuckled.

"It's going to be a boy," Nox jumped. "I'm so excited. Another baby of my friends to love and hold and cherish and-"

"You and Ana aren't having any luck?" I asked.

He deflated. "No, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I know pixies and water fae have mated in the past but maybe if you want to produce offspring, that I have to do something different."

"Why don't you ask your old Nereiad friend? I'm certain she would know."

"Seran?" He rocked on his feet. "I'm sure I could ask her. She has the memory of the oldest Nereiad I've ever met. Good luck telling those boys. I'm going to go ask Seran."

"Good luck," I waved.

~*~

A face caught my attention before I got too close to the Blackwater Grund. I saw Forrest resting in the trees before the edge of the woods. I slowed. I couldn't bypass him now. I could ask Seran my question later.