Small Gifts

Caliope looked at me, her brown eyes filled with shock. I raised a brow at her, closing my book. 

"Levi," she whispered. "Our son. He's found someone. He's..."

"What is it, dear?" I grinned.

"He has got himself a boyfriend," Cali jumped up. "Our son has a boyfriend! Levi!"

I laughed. "I knew this day would come. Thanks to Ezra, I was waiting for this to come to fruition. The pieces are finally setting themselves in motion."

~*~

My hands were shaking as I read the page once again. It was my own handwriting. The date was a week from today. I had been waiting almost a month now but nothing. This explained it. I couldn't fight the icy fear.

"A-..." I didn't want to speak the words into existence. That would mean admitting it was true. But it was. I couldn't stop it now. How could it have happened this early? "Alton?"

"Yes, dear?" He leaned into the doorway, watching me with those now scorching red eyes.

"I'm..." I looked down at the page. "I think I might be pregnant."

His brows furrowed for a moment. "How can you tell?"

I slid my diary in his direction. He glanced down at the page then back at me.

"You know I'm still struggling to read, right?"

"I-" I sighed. "My cycle skipped last month, but I thought it was just going to be late. Then my diary says, a week from today, I discover that I'm having a boy. Alton, I am pregnant."

"A boy!" He filled with excitement. "Thalia!"

I smacked my forehead. "I didn't want to get pregnant this soon."

"Come on," he hugged me tightly. "Salvador and Caius have a baby. We're married. What more of a perfect time could you ask for?"

"Should we tell others?" I touched my stomach though I felt nothing.

"When you're ready," he nodded. "Though I feel some are going to figure it out before you."

~*~

I made eye contact with Dimyr again. He was interesting for a Fretela man, owned three Zodiacs, so you knew he had money. He was somewhat attractive, I supposed. His hair was a dirty blonde. His eyes were blue. 

"So," he tried to conversate again. "Which constellations do you have?"

"I have a companion who is Ophiuchus," I fiddled with my bracelets. "Otherwise, I have a close contract with Pavo and Sagitta. I have more bracelets but no official contracts."

"Hm," he glanced down at his hands. 

"What do you do for work?"

"I own a part of the Schloctus school," he shrugged.

"I work on a contract from Delta Ace," I hoped to pique his interest.

"Hm," came that sound again.

I clenched my hand. "I also fought in that war-."

"I am not fond of women who work," Dimyr stated.

I was dumbfounded. How stupid was he?

"Then what do you do with your Zodiacs?"

He shrugged.

"There's no point in having them if you don't use them," I glared. "I am actually very proud of my work. I enjoy going on jobs though they may be risky. What would you want me to do?"