We Now Only Meet at Weddings

"You may now kiss the bride," the priest smiled.

Alton obliged. I hugged tightly to him after as the small crowd applauded. I nearly tripped over my white lace dress as I giggled with elation. There were so many happy feelings floating around my head. It had been such a long time since I had felt this contempt. 

Everyone was ushered out to the banquet hall. I was satisfied with all those who were in attendance. The first fae to come up to me was one of my best friends, baby in tow, a green vest gracing his chest.

I kissed baby Eleise's head as Sal hugged me as well.

"Ya were bound to settle down sometime, yeah?" He smiled before kissing my cheek. "Congratz, love."

"Thank you," I could feel the warmth radiating off of me. "Green is a great color on you, by the way."

"Good luck," Caius grinned at me. 

"I'm going to need it," I laughed. 

"Good job up there," Nox held onto me so tightly I couldn't breathe.

"When are you getting married?" I jested.

"Valid question," he shrugged. "When are you planning to have children?"

"Not the time," I scoffed.

Fasia was a weeping mess when I approached her. Zephyr, in his green-haired disguise, was attempting to comfort her but he ended up poking fun at her instead. Briar was close by his side, her hair now a deep brunette. They almost didn't look like themselves, save for their wings.

"I have some choice words for you, sir," I saddled up next to Zephyr. 

"Why so?"

"You hadn't bothered to explain to me half of how Delta Ace works," I softly punched his side. "You made me look like a fool. I burnt myself out three times before I learned to manage. Had you told me Monarch could send things back in time, I wouldn't have. Or telling me the clairvoyance wasn't mine would have been nice."

"What mattered at the time was getting you to use the clairvoyance," Zephyr smirked. "There was a reason for everything I did. Everything you were meant to go through was meant to be."

"I'll see you at Nox's wedding," I turned. "I may have a few more choice words for you."

"Things are beginning to align for you, Thalia!" he raised his glass towards me.

Alton swept by my side, grabbing my hand. He kissed my fingers.

"Hello there Mrs. Ducarian," his lips twisted into an excited smile.

"Well hi," I whispered.

"Ready to kick this party off with some food? Maybe some dancing after?"

"I'm more ready to get out of this dress," I leaned into his shoulder. "But I suppose I can accept your offer."

~*~

"This is yours?" Zephyr leaned over Caius' chair.

"Not completely but yeah," I grinned at Briar's startled face. "Why? Didn' peg us for proud parent types?"

"You perhaps but not," he glanced down. "I'm glad to see you've settled."

"Domestic life 'as got its perks," I blinked as the lights dimmed. Thalia and Alton twirled around the floor. "It's kinda strange though, yeah? 'Alia and Alton bound together. Caius an' I 'appily married. The two of ya together. Makes me wonder 'ow everyone else on Rosegold is doin'."

"You ran into Kane on one of your missions, yes?" Zephyr was the same old same despite his new look. "He's got a child now too."

"Kane?" Caius bust out laughing. "Are you fucking kidding me? Sweet Titania, I hope his emotionally stunted offspring never graces our presence."

"Parenthood changes fae," Zeph shrugged. "Perhaps we're going to see a new generation of legends grace Delta Ace in another twenty years."

"Still got 'Alia in charge?"

"Of course," Zephyr rolled his eyes. "I don't think they'll ever want to let the place go. Enjoy the party boys."

I peeked down at Eleise giggling to the music. I hoped it wasn't hurting her ears. 

"Oi," I caught Caius' attention. "Wanna go dance?"

"With you?" he chuckled. "Always, Mr. Clarke."

"Ana," I tapped her shoulder. "Ya mind?"

"Absolutely not," Ana took Eleise carefully from my arms. Her face lit up like the floor a moment ago.

I grabbed Caius' hand. I lead him across the floor. There was a certain tension that sprouted between us. I couldn't tell if his hand creeping closer to my neck was intentional but I knew my hand tightly on his waist was riling him up.

"It's been almost a month," he whispered.

"Am I right to 'ink...?" I raised a brow.

"Ana has the baby," he pulled me towards him. "A few minutes?"

I glanced to see Ana and Nox gleefully cooing at Eleise who just giggled it up more. I prayed that they would soon find their own children, their own happiness. I'm sure every second with Eleise broke their hearts a bit more. A slip of the hand reminded me exactly where I stood.

"You sly snake," I said right in his ear.

It was fun to forget about being parents for a few minutes.

~*~

"No kids is great, huh?" Aelianna plopped down beside me. "Ooooh, never mind."

"How long did that one take to brew?" I shot her a look.

"Quite a bit actually," she leaned back. "It feels strange. Everyone we know settling down when a few years ago we were fighting in a war. Before that, we were newbies in a strange school with no idea of what was going to happen. It is weird, right?"

"I agree," I wrapped my arm around my Ana.

"Life hasn't felt real since the war," Aelianna crossed her arms. "I feel like I'm stuck in a dream. Waiting for the waking nightmare, you know?"

"Has life been that poor for you?"

"Can you honestly say any differently?"

I didn't want to admit so in front of Ana. So much had changed. Though it felt static. Not realistic. I think Aelianna noticed how I felt. She stood up and disappeared without another word.

I kissed Ana's forehead, focusing back on the ever-excited baby Eleise. Things were never going to be like they once were. They shifted like a cliff crumbling into another mountain. Uncomfortable but held firmly in their place.

~*~

Things had been so busy leading up to this. After the party had dissipated, after everything had been paid for, tipped off, after all the other fae had left, Thalia and I headed back to our humble abode in Delta Ace. 

The door was barely open before she was on me. I had to push her inside to close it right. But her mouth wouldn't leave mine for long. I made quick with the buttons along her back. She made a great sigh of relief when her dress fell to the floor. She hadn't lied about being able to escape that dress. 

What was odd was being able to see. I hadn't gotten very intimate with her since we had decided to marry. Never before though had I laid my eyes upon her bare skin. I had never seen the way her body perked up when she got aroused. I had never watched face as she twitched with excitement. Not to say I hadn't seen them through my smoke but that wasn't true sight. It lacked so much detail. There was something so sacred and intimate about this now.

I felt so happy with her. I was so happy to have let my walls down so long ago.