Holding on to You

I was terrified to leave Nox that night. I would never tell him that I stayed up the whole time, hoping he wouldn't run or have night terrors. I had heard Caius have them before, but I never said anything. These fae had been through so much. Nox didn't stay cuddled up with me. He moved towards the empty side of the bed, Ana's side. I stayed awake.

It helped that Vettlegueze came to visit me. He did this periodically now, but I never understood where he came from. He would try and work with me on changing metals. I had been able to alter precious metals to duller ones. Gold to iron. Silver to pewter. Now we were working on changing lesser metals to precious ones. I didn't quite have the grasp. 

I went to the bath room in the hall, taking an early shower. Nox would be awake soon if the door shutting hadn't sent him into a frenzy. I stood in front of the mirror, brushing down my shiny hair. 

Arn stood at the sink next to me. I don't think he quite registered that I was there since I was so much shorter than him.

"Hey," I smiled. I noticed his side was surprisingly absent. "Where's Lex?"

Arn's eyes flew up to the mirror before him. It cracked, splitting into a million pieces, the second his red eyes met. 

Arn seethed. "Fuck." He set his hand against the glass surface. The web began to retract. The mirror was whole. 

"What's going on?" I was extremely wary now. Did they break up? That was impossible. 

"I don't want to talk about it," Arn strode away.

I caught up to him. "I don't mean to be rude or intrude, but he's my best friend," I yanked Arn's sleeve until he came to a stop. "I just want to know."

"What exactly did he tell you about who I am?" his red eyes glared down at me.

Lexington hadn't said anything. All I knew about Arn from Lexington was a necromancer, a top, and a baritone. I was scared to admit the secrets I learned about Arn because Forrest had let something slip and Nox was too eager to spread the word with my sworn confidence. Significantly after I had helped raise Argus. Arn was a god, living among the rest of us as nothing had happened.

I didn't waver. "I know what you are."

"Of course he told you," Arn huffed.

"Lexington didn't," I assured him. "But I won't reveal my sources."

"Well, Lex was destined to become a god too because of me," Arn whispered. "And last night, he did. His powers are too strong, so he's staying with my father. I was instructed to inform everyone that he's sick."

"Well, shit," I tightened my grip on Arn's sleeve.

"You know everything. Yet, you're not scared of me?" Arn was clearly referring to me holding on.

"No," I shook my head. "If the gods have taught me anything, it is that they are just like us. Even as much as Nox warns me about his fae and your father, I'm not scared. I think you guys have the best intentions in mind for regular old fae like me."

Arn nodded slowly.

"I'm happy to know that he's okay," I finally conceded my hold. "I can be here for you too if you need. You shouldn't have to go through these things alone, Arn. God or not."

I couldn't quite tell what he was feeling. Half of his face was hidden by the way he styled his hair. I couldn't deny the way he was blinking fast, though. 

"Fuck," he barely got out, hiding his face in his hands.

"It's okay," I rushed to comfort him. "We'll get him back. I know being alone sucks, but we'll get through it. Until then, you can rely on Forrest and me. We're here for you."

Arn took longer to calm down than I had ever seen anyone. I wondered if he was always this attached to other fae. Maybe that's why he kept himself so far away. Or perhaps it was his secret. Either way, I felt terrible. He seemed sturdier by the end of it.

"I have a mission to get to," Arn pocketed his hands. 

"I am going on a journey," I grinned. "Is Forrest with you?"

Arn nodded, clearly no longer in the mood for words.

"Don't be afraid to confide in him," I tried. "If there's anything Forrest understands, it's what others are going through. I'll come to see you when you come back."

"Okay," Arn wandered off.

I could never be scared of someone who was so soft on the inside. Arn was like any other fae. He was surviving in his own way.

~*~

I didn't understand what about Miles was so compelling to me. Even sitting with Haley, Safari, and Jefall, I wanted to be stuck at the table with Sam, Rodam, and Miles. They seemed to enjoy each other more substantially. Maybe it's because they understood each other.

Silver stopped by to give Sam a quick kiss before leaving on some journey with the guild heads. I wondered who our secondary leader was. 

I felt a sting of jealousy. Before, I thought I wanted to be Silver, but now I guess I was wrong. I wanted to be admired like the girls Silver dated. He treated them so kindly. He put them on a pedestal, but he never worshipped them. I wanted that.

Miles talked with his hands. At first, I thought it was annoying, but now I saw it as a cute quirk. He laughed with the twins. I also wanted that. To feel carefree and light. Unburdened by the past or the spirits or destiny. Was that so much to ask?

Miles caught my gaze. I had been staring too long. He gave me a welcoming smile and a wave. Then I remembered where I had seen his face from.

Please thank him for me.

I bit my tongue. I hated these stupid sentiments. They were pointless. 

How did he know my name?

My life flying too fast before my eyes. I was going to be sick.

"Lala?" Haley brought me out of my head.

"What?" I asked, placing a glare over my face.

"Nothing," Haley retracted. "Never mind."

"I'll be right back," I stood quickly.

I approached the quiet kids' table. I stood over them. Sam barely acknowledged my presence. Rodam and Miles stared, waiting for something. What was I even doing? I didn't get it. I couldn't even find the words to explain what was going on. 

I grab Miles' vest at his shoulder. I yanked him from his chair. I hauled him to a quiet area in the hallway.

"What was that for?" Miles was nursing his shoulder. Did I hurt him? Or was he already hurt?

I hated him. He was just slightly taller than me. He looked like a black and white photograph. His straight-cut black hair, grey eyes, white shirt, black vest, black pants, black shoes, and grey wings. It was like he was from a long time ago. Stuck. Never going to age.

"Are you okay?" Miles asked.

I still didn't know what to say. Why was I doing this?

"Some spirit asked me to give you a message," I finally spat out. "A thank you to your father. For saving him."

"Why give it to me?" Miles questioned. "Aren't you able to summon spirits?"

I laughed. "Yes, but only when they're nearby."

"My father died on Newartic," Miles explained. "It shouldn't have been far from here."

I stared at his grey eyes. Miles was the answer to everything, wasn't he? Everything wrong with me. The reason I was still here. I shook with hilarity. This was ridiculous. A goose chase that kept me in the mortal realm. This was it.

I grabbed Miles' vest, pulling him into a kiss. Thank you for the answers. I ditched him, going off on my own to find this spirit that held the final solution.

Miles gave me the most confused look as I drifted on towards my resolution. It made me unleash the most insane laugh.