Intrinsically Bound

Xena huffed. "One more try."

"I've been trying," I sighed. "I've been at this one more try bullshit far too many times."

"Focus," she smacked me.

The stand that held the practice bows shattered. The bows clattered to the floor. 

"Relax," Xena rubbed my shoulders. "This takes time to master."

"I don't really have time," I grumbled. "It's been at least a month since I've started this."

"I know," she groaned. "But you need to focus in order to live up to the progress we should have made. Imagine the weapon before you."

I pictured it. The golden bow I was to hold. Curved intricately and definitely a longbow.

"Command your magic. Concentrate on your hands. Pull that feeling from your stomach."

I held my hands before me. Power zapped between Xena and me. 

"Picture the weapon in your hands. Feed the feeling in your stomach. Open your eyes and summon it."

I opened my eyes. The bow flashed before my eyes. It hadn't done that before.

"Perhaps his magic doesn't come from his stomach," Argus stepped away from the wall. "Mine does because of my fortune. Where is yours?"

"My head, obviously," Xena released her claymore. "I'm the God of Logic."

"Exactly my point," Argus stopped in front of me. "What if your magic comes from your heart?"

"You think so?" I raised my brow. 

"It's close enough to your stomach to summon those little blips. Try pulling from your heart this time."

"Okay," I took a deep breath. "I'm ready."

"Imagine the weapon before you," Argus instructed.

I again pictured that stupid bow.

"Command your magic. Concentrate on your hands. Pull that feeling from your chest, from your heart."

Argus wasn't summoning his rapier this time. Instead, he set his hand over where my heart should be. I felt a suffocating sensation from there. I grabbed it. I pulled.

"Picture the weapon in your hands. Feed the feeling in your chest. Open your eyes and summon it."

His hand dropped down as he flew backward. I saw it this time. The golden bow. It was here.

"I did it!" I exclaimed. 

"Great job!" Domascus entered the room.

"Thank you," I smiled at Argus.

"Great gods of our realm finally," Xena mumbled.

"Now I have a new experiment for you," Domascus winked.

"What is it?" I hesitated.

"So your power is dependent entirely upon your emotions," Domascus walked in front of me. "I've known that since you've been here. When you get upset, things fly considerably far. When you get sad, everyone else in the room is pulled down too. So I'd like to try something."

"Oh no," I shook my head.

"You will load the bow with an arrow," Domascus stood beside me. "You will load it, and you will shoot Argus. I think it will link your emotions.

"I don't want to be responsible for that," I hesitated. "I am not stable enough."

"It's all right," Domascus set his hands on my shoulders. "Whatever happens, we will work through it. Besides, it was his brilliant idea."