Behold and Be Held

"She's so adorable," my mom rocked in her chair. "And well behaved! You were such a hellion as a little one. Always getting into trouble."

"Thanks," I leaned on my hand.

"I always thought Analeise would give me my first grandkid," my mother couldn't stop smiling at Eleise. "But a grandbaby!"

"I would be 'ery careful mentionin' kids 'round 'er 'ight now," Sal sat down beside me.

My mother dropped. "Oh no, what happened now?"

"She found out she can' 'ave children," Sal whispered.

"Well, Caius, you and Sal could always-"

"No," I sat straight up, elbowing Sal's arm. "No, that's not why she can't have children. It's her. Sweet fucking Titania mom, you seriously think-"

"-well, it was just a thought-"

"-and an awful one. I'm not going to do that. It's my fucking sister."

"So she's infertile," my mom went back to rocking. "I was afraid that would happen. She did inherit that awful power from your father."

"Your kids got 'eir powers from 'eir father?" Sal dove in.

"I came from a family that bred Cassiopia," my mother thought it over. "However, in families like that, typically only the eldest daughters end up inheriting the Gift. I was the youngest of six girls. One of my daughters could have ended up as a Cassiopia, but sadly, none of them did. They all ended up as Ophiuchus. Which is odd, considering Cassiopia has a stronger genetic dominance than Ophichius, but your father carried a strain that was stronger than most."

"I'm sorry, what?" I lifted my head. 

"I don' get all 'is dominance and stuff," Sal shook his head.

"Hm," my mom sat back. "Well, the genetic dominance of constellations over one another depends on the power of the constellation itself. For example, the Zodiacs are the strongest we have. Followed by constellations named after famous fae, and lastly would be constellations that had little control or impact. Ophiuchus falls into that second category since it wasn't a true Zodiac. I think my power blended in with theirs, which is why Analeise has a strong human form. Some children are born powerful, some have no stellar Gift at all, and some are missing forms."

"It's why girls sell higher," I grumbled. "Since they can carry on stronger forms better than boys, but they also run a risk of infertility since their Gift is deemed too powerful to pass on. It's a curse."

"It's a rough world out there," my mom touched Eleise's cheek. "She looks like neither of you. Who donated?"

"Adopted," Sal corrected.

"Oh, sorry," my mom shook her head. "I'm caught up in the process. Either way, as my first, I have a present for you."

She set Eleise back in my arms and disappeared up the stairs. I huffed, leaning my head on Salvador. 

"She's only allowed to be watched by your parents," I sighed.

"Yeah," Sal kissed my forehead. "'He 'hole water fae 'ing kinda made 'at 'he only option."

"Here!" My mom brought out a small case of jewels. "These were for my first granddaughter. They're all made of star crystals. I hoped they would protect my grandchildren."

"Thank you," I stared at the necklace and earrings. 

"We shoul' get goin'," Sal stood.

"Aww," my mom hugged Eleise close to her again. "Caius, at least say goodbye to your sisters before you leave."