Bombs Greeted Them

The landing on Medowlark was rough. There wasn't silence to greet us either. As the ship moved towards the Everfi shore, we could hear explosions. It was hard to hear. I went with my teammates to the surface of the boat.

"There's Everfi," Zuri pointed as tall buildings appeared. "It looks like every photo of it I've ever seen."

"And we have to get all the way to Parisia," Lex noted.

"We could follow the troupe from Parisia," Arn offered. "They probably know the way better than us."

"Beth?" Ciana touched my arm. "Are you okay?"

I couldn't take my eyes off the sky. It had turned green beyond the city limits. There were moons hazed in the sky by the smoke. So many moons.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said. "We should gather our things and get going."

"I'll be doing shrinking spells," Arn said. "If anyone wants a lighter load."

"I'll take you up on that," I got off the railing.

"Excuse me," an older pixie stopped us. "I'm Lilian Spacic. I'm coming with you from Delta Ace."

"Are you all ready to go?" Ciana asked her.

"Of course, I prepared before we landed," Lilian shrugged.

"Then you can go find the marching troupe from Parisia and ask if they'll take us back with them," I instructed. "That way, we'll know the way."

"Right," she nodded. "That's a great idea. I'll go ask around."

The rest of us sank below deck to get everything ready to go.

~*~

The Parisian troupe was open to traveling with us. I was startled by how much their wings reflected my own. Or what used to be my wings. While the wings of my disguise, my old wings, were wider at the shoulders, theirs were taller.

We traveled far with them into the woods. We couldn't fly the bombs they explained to us. We set up a camp in the trees, high with cover for protection. The night was eerily quiet. We had a fire started but were warned to snuff it out before sleeping.

I was sitting by the fire when a Parisian girl sat beside me.

"What's your name?" She asks me, in Parisian. Of course, she knew.

"My name is Lexington, Lex," I extend a hand. "Et toi?"

"Collette," she answered. "Your friend..."

"My boyfriend," I corrected her.

She nodded. "He's quite dark and scary."

We looked at Arn together. I laughed, which caused Collette to laugh as well.

"No, no," I wiped tears away. "He's a puppy. All bark, no bite."

Collette and I continued to talk. We talked about everything from birthdays to our daily lives. We were very casual with touches and laughter, as Parisians are. I couldn't mistake the glares I got from Arn all night. I had made a new friend through this exchange.

"How long until we reach Parisia?" I asked as the conversation came to a close.

"Four days," she answered.

"Well," I stood. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight," Collette waved me off.

I walked into my tent. Arn was already inside, cuddled up in the sheets.