Aftermath

I woke up before the sun had bothered to raise its ass. I slipped into my shirt and grabbed the little box. I quietly crept out of the tent without my boots to not disturb Forrest. He seemed so worried about me, it was sweet. I hadn't felt genuine care in so long.

I plopped down on the log by the dead fire. I lit it with a match. I was shit at magic. I couldn't even speak a simple fire spell.

"That's bad for you," I flew around to see Myhilda sitting on her knees.

"Shit," I seethed, stomping out the lit match that fell onto the dry leaves. "I know, it's a bad habit."

"Then why do you smoke?" She still didn't open her eyes.

"I only do it when I'm stressed," I clutched my chest again. Panic didn't sit well with the pain. "And I'm particularly stressed. I don't need you demeaning me either. I get it, I'm a sinner."

I set the butt of it in my mouth and slowly, slowly, inhale and-

Exhaaaaaaale.

It eases the burden.

"I don't think what you're doing is necessarily wrong," she spoke quietly. "I only see that you choosing to do so is wrong because you're not married. Sex in my religion is seen as sacred, between two loving individuals. I'm not going to shove my beliefs on you, you understand what you're doing well enough."

"Could you share that with Loral?" I scoffed.

"He comes from a different clan," she stared down at her skirt. "It's almost like two different worlds. He and I get along because we share the same gods but I think that's where it ends. He's brutal and attacks others. I keep my opinion quietly to myself."

"Why do you cover your hair when you go outside?" I asked.

"Habit too, I suppose," she eased out of her position. "My clan wanders the Seratonium deserts in caravans. We don't fear the sun."

Arn emerged from his tent. I stayed quiet, puffing on my cigarette.

"Good morning," he nodded towards Myhilda.

"Morning," she said in reply.

He sat down across from me. I could tell his red eyes were bearing into me. I ignored him, shrouding his face from myself in a cloud of smoke. I attempted to be as sensual as possible with my next hit. I could sense his distaste. His lust angled in my direction.

"Isn't that bad for you?" He directed at me.

"Do I look like I care?" I fired back.

"You should," he tried.

"Tell you what," I smirked. "I'll start caring the day you do."

"Bold of you to assume I don't," he countered.

"Bullshit," I laughed. "Just because you're a part of my team doesn't mean you give a shit about anyone but yourself."

His eyes darkened. I hit a nerve. 

I stood up, walking away from the camp. I sang as I went. "Non, je ne regrette rien, Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait, Ni le mal."

The leaves crunched beneath my feet as I dodged trees. I wouldn't dare try to run. The forest around us was quiet, peaceful, tinged orange and yellow by the birch trees losing their leaves. 

But he caught me. I knew he would. Arn was relentless when he got pissed off. My cigarette dropped to the ground and he stepped on it within moments.