The Ethics of Madness

I wasn't sure how long I slept. Due to the madness, to this sickness that took hold of me, I did my best to remain asleep. It helped me avoid the physical pain and symptoms of madness, for the most part. Myhilda and Loral stayed dutifully by my side, nursing me to the best of their abilities.

What staying asleep didn't save me from was the nightmares. It was a newfound plague unleashed into my dreams. I suffered from everything, such as my loved ones betraying me to dreams of the Resteric River Village to sustaining injuries in intimate moments. 

They stopped scaring me so much. A feeling came over me this time that was much different from the previous nightmares.

The bed began to spin. My feet were in the center, making my head dizzy. I flipped over to the side, ready to vomit.

I saw feet next to me on the floor. I met uneven eyes. One contained the pupil of a pinprick, the other the size of saucers. These blue eyes stared at me unwaveringly. I saw who it was. Navy blue wings, wild black hair. I saw pieces of Arn, Calliope, and Dorimir.

I scrambled away, falling off the other side of the mattress. No. Not him. Lilith said I had to stay away from him.

"Hello, Orpheus," he grinned.

"Stay away," I spat out.

"Are you quite enjoying yourself?" He leaned over. "I hear the throes of madness can be fun."

"You have no power here. I have protection over me."

"Ah, yes, but I know you're missing something. Orpheus is nothing without Arn. Otherwise, what is your purpose here?"

"I have plenty that I'm to do."

"Trust me, I know. I've seen how on-edge you're making Dorimir. Your power is reaching places it shouldn't. I can't help but admire your tenacity. You'll stop at nothing to get your way."

"Exactly," I crossed my arms.

"What if I could offer you a way back to Arn?" He swirled his finger in the air. "A way to cut out the longing, waiting, and silly prophesies?"

"I'd never take a deal from you. I've seen what happens in your wake. You only take and destroy."

"You new gods are so hesitant to change. I want Calliope. That's all I'm asking for."

"Go fuck yourself," I gritted my teeth.

"Don't you get it!" He shot within spitting distance. "I own you! You are under my control! You are sick with madness! I can keep you as far away from Arn as I want! I will kill you to keep the two of you apart! You will wander the rest of your days alone! You will suffer, and when you die, I will keep your soul locked up! You will never live!"

I laughed. It wasn't the insane laughs I've had the last few days. This was pity laughter.

"Are you kidding me? Do you hear how ridiculous you sound?"

His hand latched around my throat. He lifted me into the air. I struggled against his grip.

"You are such a fool, Orpheus. It will kill you one day. You'll never wake from this fit. I'll make sure of it."

"You are your own enemy. You create your own cracks. And when you're left alone, who will save you?"

He released such insane laughter. "Just you wait, Orpheus!"

I focused on the feeling in my heart. It pulled back firmly as I was dying. Blue magic burst around the room, sparking and striking Serberous. He hissed.

I slammed back against the bed. Myhilda had retreated to behind the door. Calliope within her had managed to stay hidden beneath my magic. My distraction had worked. Loral released his white magic.