In the Summer

I waited nervously before the stairs. I had never been to Caliope before. I felt like I was overstepping my bounds. This is where the water fae thrived, where they were heard. 

Everywhere had signs of them. The faery cultures that had come here were now pixie clans who had adapted the water fae traditions. Their style was everywhere, from the clothes to the architecture. I never had such a thing. My fae conformed to pixie norms. We adopted their way of life. This was so beautiful.

"Cousin Nox," a Caliopian Kelpie opened the door. "Please, come in."

I took a very deep breath. I followed her into the building. 

The tall cavernous hallway was visually similar to natural underwater caverns. Plants of vibrant colors lined the pillars. Their brightness reminded me of the coral underwater here. The place was damp, probably to keep the water fae's temperamental skin moist.

A large room opened up. Behind a short wall, sitting before what was meant to be a replica of a Siren's cave, were nine water fae council members. Two Caliopian, three Zommar, two Edenic, and two Recten sat at a table. 

"Welcome, Cousin Nox, Splinter of Destruction," the Zommar Nymph said. "We have heard many of your tales from our brothers and sisters as they returned home. We are pleased to have you."

"Thank you very much, fae council members," I nodded.

A Recten mermaid cleared her throat. "What have you come here for, Cousin Nox?"

"I am here to seek religion," I stood tall. "Allow me to explain to you the destruction I have seen..."

~*~

Three more days. That's all we had left on this damn ship.

With Nox gone, I had fewer options for friends left. I found myself often in attendance for tea in Lynnette's cabin for some semblance of normalcy. I couldn't deny the easy closeness between Lynn, Seth, and Sky Rose. It made me jealous. I couldn't stay up here for long. I feared Seth would get the bright idea to try and invite me into their little group. No, I'm sorry, thanks. I'll stick to monogamy, I'd say. I had planned it for weeks now.

It was nice, however, to speak with Seth. His insights into Alchemy were profound. He could charm anything he put his mind to. Lynn and Sky gave testimonials the first time I sat down to tea. I just wanted a working charm. I was trying to get his help with it.

I found a Cassiopeia charm. There was no name, no soul attached to this anymore. It might have been an antique. I was trying to get this thing to work, to summon something.

"I'm not sure why it won't work," Seth handed the ring back to me. "The charm is intact."

"May I see it?" Sky Rose leaned back.

I extended my hand. "Of course, but what can you contribute?"

Sky turned around in her chair. She held the ring up in the light.

"I could tell you many things about this ring," Sky reached to her side. "For example, this ring is made not of pure silver but an Argentium sterling silver."

Sky set a box on the table. Hitting the switch, she sparked a fire beneath it. I lurched forward in an attempt to stop her. When the flames subsided, the ring was magnificent. No discoloration whatsoever.

"Argentium sterling silver is crafted for its fire resistance," Sky noted. "The gem your charm is on also happens to be a pearl. A pearl that comes from the deep water vents of Caliope. Also fire resistant, since it can withstand high temperatures."

"Why, though?" I slowly sat in my seat.

"Someone wanted this ring to last a very long time," Sky offered. "Judging by the design, this was crafted in the year 0375 or modeled to look like it was."