Lost at Sea

A peace had come to the village. Now, they had changed sides. Tensions eased with the king decreeing a treaty between them and their once rival village. Tarem'Wa had proposed to the princess. It was all very happy.

I had dreamwalked with Levi and Cali last night. They had instructed me on what powers to pull when I wanted to traverse worlds. I was completely ready to return to Arn's side.

I hugged the princess as I said my goodbyes to the village. I was glad they were better off touched by my magic. Now, I was going back to Medowlark, back to Arn.

I stepped back from everyone. "Thank you very much for your hospitality. I am grateful to have met each and every one of you. I hope everything in your life goes the way you want it to. For now, I will be heading back to where I belong."

I readied myself. Feel the magic, just as Mom instructed me.

"Take me to where I belong," I pictured Arn's side.

My stomach flipped as I was dragged off of Zannikar. Just as quickly, I fell towards a planet much smaller than Medowlark. It was covered in water. Caliope. No, this isn't where I was supposed to go.

I dropped into the ocean. I couldn't swim.

The water carefully caressed my shoulders. The air was ripped from me. I was going to drown. Pixies are useless in water. I never learned to swim.

Hands supported my back, pushing me to the surface—a glimpse of black feathers before me.

Could it really be him?

I coughed water up on the beach. Around me, birds screamed, and the ocean slapped against the shore. I forced my eyes open. I could see the sand. I found the remains of blue polish still on my nails. But it wasn't Arn who had saved me.

His wings weren't truly black. They had little white stars scattered across them. He blinked empty eyes at me. It was like staring at Blackwater fae, soulless. His ears were pointed, a trait that faded over the millennium. His black hair showed his widow's peak.

Something came off of him. Something that twisted my stomach into violent knots. I wanted to throw up for real this time. I tried to back away, but he grabbed my leg.

I ignored my stomach, pulling at my thundering heart. My bow was in my hands. Sure, it couldn't harm him, but at least I could pacify him.

"Do fae not say thank you anymore?" His voice came out, much more of a baritone than Arn's bass. "Have I been asleep through the fading of manners?"

He only had a white cloth across his waist. The edges of it were wet from me. He saved me. The God of Death saved me.

"What do you want from me?" I didn't drop my fingers.

"I just wanted to meet the baby of the family," he crawled over me, forcing me from my stance. "Your wings are quite pretty. It's not my fault you nearly drowned. I saved you. You're not supposed to die here."

"T-thank you," I muttered. "Merci beaucoup.. and all that, but...why me? Why are you here?"

"I'm only ever in places for three reasons," he tucked his finger under my jaw. "One, because I'm doing my job. Two, someone told me to be here. Three, I was called."

"I didn't call for you," I wasn't strong enough to fight him off.

"No," he leaned in. "You didn't."

He kissed me softly. I almost expected to feel my mortal body fading. I thought this was how he was going to kill me. A kiss of death. Magically, it was innocent. Curious. Fleeting.