So We Come to a Close

I waited on the dock. Soon, the airship would land. It would take me to Zannikar. 

I had searched everywhere for Orpheus. I had ventured through all of Medowlark by myself after leaving Charleze and Laurent in Everfi. I came back to see them, to give my goodbyes.

"One final thing for the road?" Charleze extended a bag to me.

It was a black leather messenger bag. It suited my style perfectly. I opened the largest pouch to find extra clothes and food—the smaller pocket held at least sixty Gaellileons. 

"No," I insisted. "I couldn't possibly accept this."

"Well, you're going to," Laurent flicked my forehead. "Seriously, if you're going to keep searching for your lost love, you need resources."

"But these things belong to you," I argued.

"We're doing just fine," Charleze assured me. "I promise, we're running our club and raking in the money, mate. This was the least we could do."

"I can never repay you guys for how much you have saved me," I wiped away some tears.

"Careful," Charleze reminded me. "You don't want to aggravate your eye."

"Just invite us to the wedding," Laurent smiled. "It would be nice to meet this boy you're so obsessed with."

"You will definitely hear from me," I attempted to smile.

"Our address is written in there," Charleze added. "If you need anything at all, don't hesitate to write us. We'll be able to help you however you need."

"You can also send our invite there," Laurent winked.

"Thank you," was all I could manage.

"There it is," Laurent pointed.

I glanced to see an airship coming down. The three of us ducked behind a barrier as it landed in the waters of Landon. We reemerged once the wind had settled and the ship had shut off its engines. 

"Well, they're going to start loading soon," I mentioned.

Charleze pulled me in for a tight hug. "Best of luck to you, Arn."

Laurent hugged me then, too. "You'll find him. We all know it."

"Yes," I nodded. "It's my destiny."

The two of them smiled at me.

"Thank you for the bag," I gestured. "And your support. And your friendship, it's really meant a lot to me. And for saving my knife-"

"Arn, it's okay to say you'll miss us," Laurent giggled.

"We'll come visit you for the wedding," Charleze reeled Laurent back. "This isn't a goodbye. You'll see us again."

"Yes, of course," I tried to reassure myself.

I headed onto the ship. I settled into the bed. I hoped a long sleep to Zannikar would recover the magic I was still missing. 

~*~

"Here, Master Orpheus," one of the water fae servants stopped me outside the bath room. "Fresh towels for you." 

"Thank you," I gave her a bow back.

I stepped into the tub, washing all the grime from today's labor off my body. We were nearly finished with the third house on the edge of the Grund. I kept my eyes closed. The hallucinations of Dorimir remained. If anything, they had gotten worse. I had discussed such with my fellow gods, but they did little to provide me with a solution.

The hot water eased my aching joints. I relished in the high temperatures until my body felt like gelatin. I grabbed the towel and began to dry my hair in the mirror. 

I saw blackness edge into my vision. I looked into the mirror to find Dorimir standing behind me. My body went rigid. He had found me again.

He leaned in, right where my neck was. He smiled something devious. I stayed completely still. I could feel his warmth passing into me. My breath caught in my throat.

His hand came to my neck. I stared at my own eyes in the mirror. This had to be fake. There was no way...not after the way he left me last time.

His fingers pressed into my throat. Right at the soft fleshy part between my collar bones. Blood spilled down my shirt, dousing the blue in crimson. I choked on the blood. It stung. He pulled the wound open further. I swayed forward.

I caught the edge of the sink. There was no blood. No wound. It was all an illusion. Fear had made it feel real to me. I steadied myself.

Dorimir was smiling in the reflection.

I turned around. Nothing. This was all fake.

I wrapped the towel around me, running to find Leviathan and Calliope. They were talking before the dinner table, nearly ready for the meal to be served. They offered me confused and concerned glances at my shabby state of dress. 

"I saw Dorimir again," I said. "I saw him here, in the bath room after my bath. He slit my throat, and it felt so real and painful. I've never seen him when I've been here. Is he taking me over? I don't want to hurt you guys."

"My son," Levi set his hand on my shoulder. "Relax, he's just a hallucination."

"But the pain felt so real," I glanced around. "What if I left here, just to be careful? I don't want Serberous to lay his hands on Mom."

"We'll be all right, Lexington," Cali assured me.

"But what if he gets you?" I asked. "I couldn't live with myself."

"My son," Leviathan started again. "It's going to be all right. We can handle any issue that gets in our way."

"I want to be safe," I insisted. "I'll move into a house at the Grund. We just finished building a few."

"Are you sure?" Cali took my hand. "We don't want you to be alone."

"I won't," I explained. "I'll have you all here. I'll still come over. I have friends in the Grund. I'm trying to protect you."

"I can't argue a case I will lose," Levithan sighed. "We'll support you however you see fit. Promise that you will still come to see us."

"I'll try to as much as I can," I stepped back. "Thank you both."

I returned to Arn's room. Arn's room. It had been months, and my mind still called it that. I lived here more than he did at this point. I sat down on the mattress, tears pricking my eyes. I missed the shit out of him. At least during the day, hard labor kept me occupied. I didn't have to think of him or what we had done to each other. I hoped every day he was finally on a ship back here. No one could find a trace of his magic anymore. Dream walking with him had become impossible. 

I just wanted him back.

But I would stay on Newartic until he decided to come back.

It's all I could do.