La Danse Macabre

We had set up a camp near the location listed in our letter. I could see hope and despair ragging on the boys. However, the closer we got to Ne'Mallia, the more my blood boiled over.

I could care less about Sam. Sam had stolen Silver from me, too. Sam made Silver happy, sure, and Sam could help Rodam out when no one else could hear him. No, I didn't especially like Sam, but I tolerated her. She was an okay part of this team. If anything, she had become our voice of reason—something to keep Silver grounded in the real world when his brain went fuzzy.

No, I was so furious because I had told Ne'Mallia to leave us all alone. To not imbue this group with more drama than she already had. Yet, here she was. She was tearing all of us apart, as I had rightfully feared.

"I suppose I should ask now," Miles piped up. "I've never really met Ne'Mallia. What is her fighting style?"

"She uses necromancy," Silver explained. "Not the way that Arn does. Hers requires the lack of water."

"Don't forget the bandages," I added. "She also controls a goo monster?"

"Plus, now she has demons under her control," Silver sighed. "I'm not sure we will beat her with our abilities."

"We don't need abilities," Miles read Rodam's hands. "We work together. He's right. We've gotten very good at using each other's powers to our advantage. Magnetism and stone. Ghost powers. We should fair well."

I tapped my foot. "I'm concerned about the demons."

"Because you're a living vessel now?" Miles asked.

"Because none of us have powers to exorcise them. She used to do that all for us."

"We have fought demons before, Lala," Silver assured me. "We can take them down just as easily without her."

"I may be able to help with that now," Miles admitted. "I've gained the power to turn things to stone."

"Like the old snake lady warriors?" I raised a brow.

"It seems to be my special Gift, the one I gained because I'm deaf."

Silver sat up. "That's quite interesting. Maybe that's a good idea to stop Ne'Mallia."

"I vote we dunk her hands in water," I waved. 

"It wouldn't permanently stall her," Silver laughed. "The bracelets she wears cut off the blood flow. That's how she does so well."

"I'm sorry?" Miles leaned over. "She doesn't have blood in her hands?"

"They're embalmed and tattooed with her clan's necromancy spells."

I stood. "What if we attack her in twos? We can ensure that some of us are always occupying her space while the others can prepare for the next attack?"

"What about her demons?" Silver pressed. "Wouldn't that be the biggest concern?"

"We'll have to see how she's controlling them," Miles nodded. "But otherwise, we could keep two on her and two on the demons? Switching out if necessary. We can communicate our actions so we aren't lost on the battlefield."

Rodam Signaled something. Miles Signaled back.

"What?" I asked.

"Rodam says he wants to kill the demons first and the bitch second," Miles pushed his friend. "His words, not mine."

Silver huffed. "He's got a point. She's ruining our lives. You may have at them if you believe you're fit to fight the demons. I will use my magic to back up whoever needs it."

"Both you and Miles should be prepared to back us up then," I cocked my head to the side. "I'm going after that bitch."

Rodam nodded in my direction. He spoke with his hands. Miles said the words aloud for him.

"Fine, but I want the killing blow on her. We could even do it together if you'd like."

"Thank you," I grinned. "I'll take you up on that."

~*~

I know I should have been sleeping. The moon kept me awake. I waited until the fire burned to ash. Tomorrow, we would find Ne'Mallia. Tomorrow, my teammates were going to kill her. 

I really wished it didn't have to be this way. When she left, Lala was sure she was hopping the first airship to Seratonium, deadset on killing to get to the throne. I never expected Ne'Mallia would align herself with demons, the one thing she fought to take down. Maybe she was possessed herself. Then perhaps we could save her.

How corrupted to the core can fae get?

Vettleguise walked between the tents. "It was awfully hard to find you."

"Sorry," I pressed my forehead into my hand. "I should have left a note or something."

"Argus helped me," he shrugged. "What are you doing out here?"

I sighed. "Have you ever had to face an enemy you didn't desire to?"

Vettleguise thought for a moment. "Yes, I have. Before Ezra went completely mad, he asked me to kill him. That way, he would keep everyone safe. I thought I couldn't do it. I loved Ezra and everything he did. I thought I couldn't kill him. I agreed to do so if he ever became too much of a danger. I never did need to interfere. He allowed Arn to take his life instead. The thought of it used to trouble me. What's troubling you?"

"An old teammate and ex-girlfriend of mine," I clutched my moonstone. "She poisoned Sam."

Vettleguise nodded slowly. "So you are all here to exact revenge?"

"No," I insisted. "I'm here to save Sam."

"But saving could mean killing."

I nodded. It made me sick.

"Silver, I have no doubt you will make the right choice. I wish you all the best in this battle. You have enough teammates. Make sure you are certain when you make decisions in this fight. It is the best way to get the most just outcome."

Tears blossomed in my vision. "I want to save Sam, but I wish I could save Ne'Mallia too."

Vettleguise took my hands. "Some fae in this life aren't worth saving. Some fae are too corrupt. You don't know how far gone someone is until you look them directly in the eye. When you look her in the eyes, make sure you can see the signs. Maybe then, you can save her."

I hugged Vettleguise close. For someone who didn't have direct contact with many fae for a long time, Vettleguise was incredibly intuitive. I respected him for that. He wrapped all my fears up and gave me little solutions.

"Do we have a power to exorcise demons?" I asked once I had calmed. 

"I haven't discovered one," Vettleguise thought. "But you can easily disarm with magnetism."

"I might have to rely on my spells heavier than I expected."

"Let's take some time to memorize useful ones," Vettleguise suggested. "That way, you're not fumbling with a book during this fight."

I worked with Vettleguise into the midnight hours. By the time the moons set, I felt ready. Vettleguise left me, kissing my cheek for good luck. I found rest and confidence to win this battle.