Torturous Dreams

That night, I dreamt of him again. He haunts my dreams. Is this what bitter love does? Poisons our souls and leaves us for torment?

But I was so happy to see him again. I hugged him the second I saw him. Were we honestly bitter? I knew he had run from me, but I could clearly see my errors. I wanted to see him again with every fiber of my being.

"Hey," he tried to put distance between us.

"I missed you," I could barely breathe.

"I understand," he said. "Listen, I need to talk to you."

"I don't want to talk right now," I kissed his cheek. "I'm just happy you're here."

"Arn," he wrestled from my grip.

"Lexington," I replied.

"I want to talk to you."

I paused. "Wait, are you really here? Are you dreamwalking?"

He blinked. "Yes?"

"It's just," I brushed my hand across his cheek. "I always dream about you, but you're never real."

His eyes searched my face. "Really?"

"I think Serberous might be using you to torture me."

Lexington froze. "Serberous?"

"Serberous is here," I waved a hand. "He found me. He's trying to find me again. He's planning to kill me."

"Arn..." Lex stared. "You can't be serious."

I nodded. "I think he might succeed."

"Arn, no," he pulled me close. "I will come back to you. I will. We'll end this together."

My vision blurred behind tears. "Lexington, I messed up. I should have listened to you; I should have held on. I'm paying all the prices for my mistakes."

"It's okay," he held me. "I'll come back. I'll pray to the other gods. We'll work together, and we'll kill Serberous."

"I already prayed. I'm not sure anyone heard me."

"I'll try again. Don't be scared, Arn. You have to be brave for everyone that's with you."

"But who will be brave for me?" My voice cracked.

Lexington gently caressed my face. He greeted me with a kiss. He didn't part from me. Crying lost its meaning. I fell into Lexington's whims. I sank against a stone wall, holding him in my lap.

"Arn," he whispered to my lips. "Why is your happy place a graveyard?"

I looked at the surrounding dreamscape. Yes, this was my dream he had walked into. There were many old, mossy gravestones—beautiful and ancient mausoleums. The spires of the wrought iron fence stood tall.

"This is the graveyard above the Underworld," I answered.

That grew unimportant, too. Lexington returned to my lips. Braced between him and a mausoleum, I was allowed to love him as I had back on the ship after the silly little game we had played with our teammates. It felt like forever ago that it had happened. How long had I been fighting in this war?

But I never reached a happy ending. There was a flash of metal. Blood poured down the front of my shirt. Lexington held a knife over me, his eyes black with possession.

"You will die alone on Medowlark," his voice pitched. 

I flew up in my bedroll. Zuri was asleep peacefully next to me. Hyperventilation set in. I touched my face. No blood.