New Life and Old

"I'm sorry you're not getting the answers you asked for," Lex touched my arm. We were standing outside on the balcony off the dining room. 

"I should have expected this from my father," I put my head up. "He is always twelve steps ahead of everyone else. He knows things."

"Dinner was good, though," Lex watched the river below. "We're staying in your old bedroom?"

"Yeah," I sighed.

"Sort of scares me how much you look like your dad," Lex gave me a small grin. "If it weren't for your hair, I might confuse the two of you."

"You want to meet our dog?" I let the rail go. 

"Don't you want to see if your dad will talk to you?" Lex's face screwed up the way it always did when he asked questions.

"He won't tonight," I wrapped an arm around his waist. "I promise. He's probably formulating a way to speak to me but still keep me in the dark."

"Okay," Lex let me walk with him. 

"Mother!" I called once we reentered the room. "We're going to visit Fang."

"Oh!" She bolted from her seat. "Let me come with you!"

I knew she would fill the silence. My mother loved to talk. She tagged along. She asked Lex about his home, his life, and his musical skills. She seemed particularly tickled by the fact that he could play piano and sing. "He will fit in perfectly here," she had said. 

"In here," I opened a door. 

The giant pup raised two of its heads from the floor. Soon, all three were awake, clamoring towards us. One grabbed me by my waist, throwing me up into the air. I started to laugh, all the trouble easing off of me. 

"Arn!" Lexington yelled, clearly worried.

I landed carefully on the nose of the middle head. The others started to sniff and lick at me. They were barking with glee.

"I missed you too," I laughed, getting thoroughly covered with dog slobber. 

"Fang is our three-headed dog," my mother led Lexington up the dog. "He's easily excitable. Arn's loved him since he was a puppy. He still thinks he's a small dog despite the three brains."

Lex giggled. "Arn, you're covered in dog spit."

"This is fine," I nodded. 

"Everything misses having you here," my mother grinned. "Even your bed misses you."

"We could use the rest," I nodded. 

"I'm not going to sleep next to you if you're covered in drool," Lex shook his head.

"I'll start up a bath for you two," my mother walked away. "The big tub downstairs. I'll find clothes."

"She's gone," I glanced back at Lexington.

"She's got an interesting headspace," he smirked.

"That's my parents for you," I continued scratching the dog's head. "Their own little world so far from everyone else. Isolated to the dead Necromancer city."

"I say, we sleep it off," Lex was careful not to touch me. "Your dad will talk to you tomorrow. It will work out, I promise."

"I suppose you're correct."

"Then we'll go home, and you'll stop talking like a pompous ass," he chuckled.

"A pompous ass you love," I hugged him.

"That's so gross," he tried to push me away, but his laugh was unmistakable.

~*~

Bathing together with Arn felt weird. I was glad to get out of the tub. Seeing each other naked in a non-sexual setting, in a home occupied by his parents and many women, made me feel strange. He tried to kiss me, but I wouldn't let him.