Broken Hearts

I moved my fingers bit by bit. They responded. My legs did too. I pushed myself up from the dirt. The wings of my disguise had shattered. I was left with my beautiful god wings exposed.

I had no idea where I was. I was surrounded by dense trees, taller than I could quickly fly over. There were so many unfamiliar sounds. I could feel the damp dirt beneath me. Where did I end up?

"Hello?" I heard someone call.

"Hello?" I called in response.

Soon, a pixie appeared before me. He lowered the long knife in his hand.

"Jumbo," he said. "Hello."

"Hi," I stood waveringly. "I need help. I think I'm lost."

"Follow me," he gestured.

The long knife he used to hack through vines that grew thick before us. I noticed that even behind us, they grew back together. Magically charmed weapons that didn't hurt the environment. It was very kind.

"I'm sorry to intrude," I stumbled. "I'm-"

"Orpheus," he nodded. "You were prophesized to come here for a long time. I'm Ka'Geru."

"Thank you for coming to get me, Ka'Geru," I felt flush.

"I heard a loud noise, is all," he shrugged. "I'm glad it was you and not a space rock. They tend to burn the forest when they land," he lifted a jug from his side.

"Where are we?" I dared to ask.

"The Swali Farming Fae," he gestured. "This is the town of Swali, Zannikar. We are a producer of cocao, tea, and coffee."

We entered the town. Houses and businesses lined the streets. Ka'Geru led me toward the tallest building in the city. I followed him, unsure of what else to do.

"Orpheus!" A woman approached me. She kissed my cheek before leaning back. "I can't believe it. We were told we would have you for hundreds of years! I am so glad that I get to meet you."

"Yes, thank you," I bowed my head. "I was wondering if there's a place I can sleep."

"Why yes, of course. There's been one built for you at the edge of the village. I'll send someone to clean it up for you."

"No, I can do it myself," I insisted.

"Orpheus," she set her hand on my arm. "You have no magic right now. Let us take care of it."

I kept my mouth shut. No magic? I finally had it flowing off my every move. Where did it go? 

"I am Princess Imani," the woman finally introduced herself. "My dad is the king of this town. He's currently out tending our fields but will convene with you later."

"It is nice to meet you," I followed her outside the building. 

"Each of our families helps tend the crops since they have rotating seasons. Our children attend school, and the others run businesses. We export many goods to the planets around us. We share profits from farming evenly among our fae. We make cloths and clothes to export. We make baskets that are sought after as far as Seratonium. I hope you can find your niche in our town until your magic returns."

"Thank you," I paused before the small brown hut she led me to at the edge of town.

"This is what our ancestors have built for you. I hope you like it," she gestured me towards the door.

I entered. There was a small table with a single chair, a kitchenette, and a bedroom behind it. The water closet was modest. It was a bit cramped, but I was only one person. I was grateful for any hospitality I could get. I'd take sleeping on a mat on someone's floor. This was an honor.