Lost Bodies

We started in the morning. There was a complex we were set to find. Our destination was a large house in the mountains known only as the Belle Mansion. The walls had been stripped down to concrete and stone over the years. Beth walked ahead, her scythe steadily in her hands.

"I don't like this place," Ciana pulled Tia closer to her.

"Relax," Tia brushed Ciana's hair. "Nothing could possibly go wrong."

"Easy for you to say," I pointed.

"Hey," Beth paused. "You all should look at this."

~*~

The morning was oddly quiet. Loral didn't even look at Lexington. The two didn't argue. I rested happily in their silence. Arn was his usual self. I was glad not to have to cease any fighting. We moved on with our journey. 

"This is it," Arn stopped, touching some symbols outside the cavern.

"I am seriously tired of caves," Loral huffed.

"Well," Lex shrugged. "Whatever happens, don't detach from someone who can fight demons," he smiled in my direction.

"Let's try not to lose each other at all," I took a deep breath to let all my worry out.

"We will be fine," Arn touched my shoulder. Loral grabbed me away from him. "I'm certain we will make it out of here alive."

"Don't worry," Loral gave me a soft look. "I'll look out for you."

I nodded my agreement. I still couldn't fight the gnawing feeling that something terrible would happen.

~*~

"Hello?" I called out into the black abyss.

"Tia!" Ciana yanked me back, giggling.

Forrest stepped forward. "No, she was right. There is something out there."

"W-"

"Quiet," I hushed Beth.

Forrest waited in stunning silence. I'm sure he first had to rule out our heartbeats before settling on what could be before us.

"You remember our first fight," Forrest looked at me. "That giant marble statue."

"Yeah, you're digging up deep memories," I smirked.

"There's something about that size down there," Forrest kept his voice low. "And about twelve other fae."

"Whatever it is," Beth reached into her pocket. "They won't stand a chance."

~*~

Wondering off without Arn was my first mistake. I stared at the stone cavern walls that seemingly led nowhere. I was hopelessly lost. Worst of all, I ended up with Loral. Despite his uptight demeanor, he was stuck with me. I thought only that his fear of caves kept him this close.

"We're lost," he repeated.

"No," I assured him. "This cave has to lead somewhere."

Lex. something hissed behind me.

"What was that?" Loral twisted about.

I didn't dare look back. I rested my hand on the hilt of Zweihänder. As long as I had this Lilith-forsaken sword, I was fine. At the very least, Loral had defensive magic. Defensive light magic in this dark fucking cave.

Leeeeeexxxxx, the thing hissed again.

I shook my head. This wasn't real. I was hearing things. I glanced back to Loral. He was gone. I turned around, staring at the cave around me. Where the fuck did Loral go?