Mental Issues

(BLU)

Like their promise, Mr.Akage and Mr.Gilbert put me in front of a psychologist the day after the storm left the Philippines. My adoptive parents called the school to excuse me from attending lessons for a day.

"Its just one day. Taking care of your mental health and physical being is more important. If you are not healthy, how do you supposed your mind could absorb all the lessons your teachers are giving to you?" was Mr.Akage's logical reasoning for taking care of my health first.

Mr.Gilbert accompanied me to the hospital to meet Dr.Agoncillo, an elderly psychologist who specializes in dealing with adolescent patients. But the doctor deemed it appropriate to ask Mr.Gilbert to step outside of his consultation office so he can talk to me alone. "Blu might be more comfortable answering my question if its just him and me talking," Dr.Agoncillo said.

"Will that be alright with you?" Mr.Gilbert asked me. I nodded. "Alright then. I'll be just outside," Mr.Gilbert patted my shoulder before nodding to the doctor and left the office. I was left with Dr.Agoncillo who started asking the usual questions and about my problems. He was concerned when he heard about my sleeping pattern.

"Growing boys like you need sufficient sleep, Blu, or else it could impend your physical, psychological and emotionsl growth. Three hours of sleep daily is not enough. Not even close. You need good quality eight to ten hours of sleep daily." Dr.Agoncillo said.

"Is there a bad quality eight or ten hours of sleep?" I find that confusing.

"Yes," Dr.Agoncillo said. "Think of it this way. A good quality eight hours of sleep starts at 10pm to 6am, nonstop. In a well ventilated room and on a bed that our body finds comfortable to sleep in. An example of a bad quality eight hours of sleep is when you sleep at 4am in the morning, after playing games or browsing on the internet using your phone, and wakes up at 12noon. Its bad for you specifically because you are student who should get up at 6am to go school. Your body has an innate clock inside it that should be considered as you go around doing your things all day."

"I see." I don't fully understand what he meant but it will be truly bad if its a school day and I will wake up at 12 noon. I won't just be late for school, I might as well not go at all.

Dr.Agoncillo asked me about my habits before going to bed. I told him that I have a usual getting ready for bed routine. "I don't linger on my phone that much. I...am not actively using social media and if I want to watch something, I use my laptop but thats quite seldom as well."

"Hmmm...I see." Dr.Agoncillo nodded while writing on his notepad. The pen on his hand moving steadily. Then he looked up from his note to stare at me. "Studying your nightly routine doesn't give me any indication on why you lack sleep. Do you have any other problems that could be the reasons why you find it hard to have sufficient rest at night?" He asked, with patience in his tone and eyes.

I winced, "I...uhm...suffer from dreaming," I said diplomatically.

"Nightmares," Dr.Agoncillo nodded as he started writing again. "Did something happen recently that you can factor as the trigger for your nightmares?"

Oh...where to begin with that one? Shit!

"Something happened," I nodded. "Like so many things happened." I added for good measure.

"I see," Dr.Agoncillo sighed while staring at me. "Do you want to discuss those things? We can work around those issues and look for ways to handle your nightmares. Would you be willing to do that?" He asked before giving me a kind and reassuring smile.

Am I ready to tackle those issues and handle my nightmares? "I don't know..." I suddenly feel nervous. "Do I have to talk about what happened?"

"It will help. But it will all depend on you. I will surely not force you to talk if you are not ready. That's not how these things work," Dr.Agoncillo said.