Practice

(GILBERT)

"Aren't you supposed to be making plans for Robin's Swimming Meet? It's in five weeks." Zane equipped behind me. I am aware that my lover is on his way out of the penthouse to work but unlike before, I cannot be bothered to check if his tie or business jacket are in place.

Instead, my mind is filled with other things. Like like what Zane told me during that romantic dinner we had on our last night in the island resort. Things about Master Robin and Blu.

"How did I miss it? How?" I marveled while staring at the six foot long and three foot tall aquarium that Master Robin suddenly demanded to be built in one corner of our living room after our island vacation.

It's been a week since that family time we had and like a paranoid parent, I am keeping close eyes to both Master Robin and Blu and is now finally seeing the signs of the deepening relationship between the two boys. From the way they look at each other to the extra brilliance of the smiles they throw at each other's way.

"I feel so stupid. I caught them kissing in the garden pool two days ago," I told Zane as he stood beside me in front if the aquarium with the pretty rocks and colorful fishes. Master Robin even bought a real anemone to be placed there for the clown fishes.

It's a huge fucking ass aquarium. Like a testament of affection for someone. Someone who agreed to finally let Master Robin teach him to swim...and now I am catching the two boys flirting and kissing on the pool.

"Why are you even surprised? I already told you, Robin has deep feelings for Blu. Look at this thing he asked to be commissioned for Blu." Zane sighed. "I am just glad this thing doesn't contrast to the design of the house."

I sighed with him. "It's always good to have something blue in a house filled with men." I said. I turned my body to face Zane. "Forget about the aquarium, what are we going to do about the boys? This couldn't go on, Zane."

Zane rubbed a hand on his nape as he faces me. "Robin said he will handle it."

"How?" I want to laugh and cry at the same time. "Do you even have any idea what I am feeling everytime I am looking at them? It's like watching a tragic movie that I already know will end in heartaches but I cannot seem to stand up from the chair where I am sitting to leave the cinema. This is torture, Zane!"

"Gilbert..."

"Blu's parents detained Master Robin in a chicken coop to help your nephew's kidnapper. The Akages killed Blu's parents. Blu's parents are the reason why Master Robin couldn't stand sealed dark rooms. The Akages are the reason why Blu is an orphan. We..." I gestured to Zane and myself. "Are lying to them everyday. Zane!"

"Calm down!" Zane took my shoulders in his hands. He held them and squeezed them with enough pressure to let me feel his presence amidst my panicking about Master Robin and Blu. "Calm the hell down, Gilbert. Everything will be alright."

This time I chuckled like I am going insane. "How? How will things be alright?"

"By keeping the boys away from the truth. That simple. They are happy, Gilbert. Robin is happy. And isn't that how we want him to be?" My lover gave me an intent look. "Gilbert...?"

"I was happy when you told me you finally love me." I said. "I was over the moon happy. When you met my family, when my mother approved of us...I feel like nobody in this face of the Earth could be happier than me. And do you know the other side of that happiness? Unadulterated fear." I pushed away Zane's hold on me. I passed him to walk to the kitchen, my safe haven in this place. In this kitchen, I control everything. I make delicious dishes and deserts. I am happy when I am in this kitchen.