You and Me

(ROBIN)

I know my Uncle try his might to protect me from stressing out about things that he deems not necessary for me to think about. Like my good for nothing biological parents or the upcoming nuptial of my grandfather to his ex daughter in law, my mother, that would surely be a scandal in the business world.

But as I stare at the wrapped gift with a card that says the gift comes from Daimo and knowing that he visited us secretly here in Manila...I think it is time that I start being strong to face challenges like my parents so Uncle won't worry about me.

"You don't have to open it if you don't want. We can send it back," Uncle said while we were seated around the dinner table. Gilbert prepared a special birthday dinner for me and everything is delicious. But I know Blu is looking forward to the ice cream cake later.

"Nah," I shook my head and get my hand busy ripping the wrapping on Daimo's gift. It is the latest XBox console that is about to be launched next month. Daimo obviously has a connection to get his hands on this beauty but frankly I am unimpressed.

I have outgrown playing video games. I play when I have the time to burn or I'm too stress to think anymore but I don't specifically make time to play games. Not anymore. Before, I used to ask Gilbert to give me a generous schedule for playing video games but that is all changed now.

Uncle knew that. That's why he stopped asking if I want the latest games so he can buy it for me. I think my Uncle is all too well aware that I like spending quiet time with Blu than stare at a screen and kill virtual zombies.

"That seems cool," Blu commented.

"Do you want it?" I asked my boyfriend. I will give it to Blu if he want it.

"No," Blu shook his head. "I want a bicycle to ride around a park or biking trail. I want that for my next birthday."

"Why wait for your birthday? I can get you a bike tomorrow," Uncle said.

"I know but I am actually saving some money for it. It's a life goal I want to achieve," Blu said.

"Right," our money is lost on Blu. He likes saving to buy his own stuffs. Middle class mindset but that's how he is.

I set aside Daimo's gift. I don't need it or want it. I'll probably give it away to one of my teammates. Someone will surely want a new XBox console among them.

"Your Ojiisan and mother also sent gifts," Uncle said after I set the console aside.

"I'll get to those later," I said. Feeling uninterested with those gifts. I am anticipating Uncle's gift to me. He knows what I like. He always does. Uncle gives the best gifts.

And this year, he didn't disappoint. Uncle produced a bottle of premium saké for me.

"You are eighteen now. I think its time I teach you how to properly drink saké like a real Japanese man." Uncle said.

"Wow, this is cool." I took the plain white ceramic jar from him. Its just as big as my hand while a short neck and the mouth was covered with handmade brown paper tied with twine.

It looks hell aunthentic.

"Thank you, Uncle." I smiled at my Uncle. "I love it." I've always looked forward to the day I can finally share a drink with my Uncle. Growing up, I learned Japanese traditions from him and Uncle made it a promise to me that one day, we will share a drink as adults and he will pour one for me. An honor for me, no doubt.