Orphan Blu

(BLU)

It's like irony of some sort...

At the exact moment that I dropped the mic and it fell on Robin Akage's head, across the city, a road accident happened. A driver of a massive delivery truck lost control of the steering wheel and he swerved right. The truck crashed and entered a cafe glass window, driving through the cafe's customers sitting innocently inside the establishment. Five were instantly killed.

Those numbers included my parents who were having coffee in that cafe after their business meeting. They were just having coffee...smiling together one moment...the next, they were both dead.

The hospital where my parents bodies were taken called St.Anne immadiately. I think a nurse found a photo of our family in my mother's wallet. I was in my uniform in that photo, that's how the hospital got the clue to call St.Anne and look for me.

The call the headmaster took while he was talking to me, AnneMarie and Robin Akage was from the hospital where my parents were taken. After HeadMaster Brown informed me about the accident, he and another school staff drove me to the hospital. They didn't left me the whole day. They were there when someone explained to me what happened, they were there when I was asked to identify my parents things.

And they where there when I was asked if I want to see my parents in the hospital morgue.

HeadMaster Brown never left my side until AnneMarie and her parents came to be with me. My bestfriend rushed to hug me tight and cry for me.

I cannot cry...I think I am still in shock, so AnneMarie cried for the both of us.

I cannot cry...because it doesn't seem real to me. It doesn't make any sense really...

How are my parents dead? I am only sixteen years old...how can I be an orphan? Why? How?

Why?

These questions are swirling around my head. It doesn't make any sense...

"BlueJay," I looked up when someone called my name. My Tita Josie, my father's only sister, has finally arrived from Davao. My aunt is from the southern part of the Philippines. She is the closest relative I have. My mother is an only child, like me. Her relatives are all living abroad. My father's family is physically closer to me. Not necessarily emotionally.

But still, Tita Josie finally came.

"Oh Blu," Tita Josie hugged me. "I am here now..."

She is here now. Where is here again? Ah yes...I am in the hospital's chapel, where my parents' wake is being held.

"Have you eaten anything? Blu," Tita Josie, a petite and bespectacled woman in her forties, asked me gently. She is older than my father. I know that she is a teacher and married with four children. I think her profession and maternal status made her more patient with me. "You should eat, Blu. I asked around and they told me that you barely communicate with others since yesterday."

Yesterday. Was it only yesterday when my parents died? I felt like a lifetime already.

"He hasn't eaten anything since last night, Tita. Blu won't sleep or rest as well. What should we do with him?" That worried voice belonged to my bestfriend. AnneMarie sat next to me and took my hand in hers. "He only changed his uniform for his black mourning garments and then sit here to guard his parents." AnneMarie added. She is tattling to my aunt about me.