Guardianship

(BLU)

"My brother and his wife owe people money?" Tita Josie frowned as she studied the papers handed to her by my parents' lawyer.

"No, they don't owe people money per se, but someone invested heavily on their textile business and now that they are dead, the investor wants to take over the business Mr. and Mrs.Tañada started." The lawyer in formal suits explained.

The lawyer came to our house this morning with someone in tow. Another gentleman in suits. He said his name is Gilbert delos Santos. And he added that he represents the investor on my parents' business.

My parents founded and managed a medium size textile company before their tragic death. And now someone had come to take over the business as it's quite obvious that a sixteen year old orphan boy won't be able to care for that company.

Mr.delos Santos looks like an ordinary Filipino. He looks to be in his early to mid thirties. Our heights looks close to each other and we have the same frame, his skin a light brown color. Dark hair and dark eyes, long ears and a nose that is flattened a bit. He is not a handsome man but you cannot call him ugly as well.

And his suits fit him really well.

"Ah, I see." Tita Josie nodded and continued reading. Then she frowned again. "Wait, in my brother's last will, he gave the guardianship of my nephew to someone else? Not to me?"

My eyes widened at that. "What do you mean my guardian will be someone else? Tita..." I look at my aunt in confusion.

The lawyer winced a bit. "It was stated in your parents' will that if they pass away suddenly, they entrusted Blu's care to someone capable to give Blu what he needs."

"I can give my nephew his needs," Tita Josie's stare turned steely. "I have my work. I earn enough. My brother left a substantial amount for Blu's future..."

"You live in Davao, with a family of your own, Madam. I think Mr.Tañada doesn't want to burden you..."

"My nephew will never be a burden to me," Tita Josie sounded offended. "How dare you imply that..."

"I am sorry, Madam." The lawyer quickly apologizes for his blunder. "But your brother's will clearly instated to whom they entrusted Blu. I am just here to execute your brother and sister in law's wishes. I am sorry..."

"Can I contest this?" Tita Josie asked. She gave me a gentle look and patted my hand. "I want Blu to come with me..."

I smiled at my aunt. Somewhat relieved that she is showing enthusiasm to fight to have me.

"And my employer will be ready to fight you with that," Mr.delos Santos spoke up. We all stared at him in surprise. He smiled at me. "Blu's new guardian will be ready to fight for Blu's guardianship."

"Your employer? You mean, the one who invested in my brother's business is also the one named as Blu's guardian?" Tita Josie find that information incredulous.

"Ah yes," the lawyer gave a awkward chuckle and he cleared his throat. "Mr.delos Santos' employer is also Blu's new guardian. He is a friend of your parents, Blu."

"He is my parents' friend? Yet I never met him before. Who is he again?" I am starting to get suspicious about all of these.