Foraging

(BLU)

"Are you sure you don't want to contact a private investigator yet?" Robin asked in between bites of a fruity granola, his desert after having lunch with me.

We are huddled together in a ground bench, talking about what our next step will be in this investigation we are doing. We want to talk to the truck driver and assistant again but they are both gone. They have left the capital all together. And the crime scene where the accident happened has been cleaned up and swarming with construction people now.

Its starting to feel like that the traces of the accident are slowly being erased right in front of me.

"Will it really do us any good to hire a private investigator?" I asked Robin with doubt. "Won't we just waste money and time on that?"

"We won't know unless we try. So far, Uncle and Gilbert are not interfering in what we are doing. Thats scary to think about but we still have to try..." Robin said.

Yes, it is scary how Mr.Akage and Mr.Gilbert are letting us run around looking for new evidences about this incident. I wish they are just underestimating us and they are not super confident that we won't find anything even if we ran ourselves ragged chasing new evidences.

"What are you thinking about?" Robin gently nudged me my arm to get my attention.

I looked at his face. "I'm thinking of talking to some of my parents' friends. Maybe they do know if someone, particulary if the Akages, were harassing my parents before the accident." I said.

"Do you think that is a wise course to take?" Robin asked me.

I nodded. "I think so. I am just not sure how I will phrase my question to them without raising too much of their suspicions." I said.

I'm thinking I am still a minor. Once an adult had it in their mind that I am doing something suspicious, they might alert my guardians or worse...my aunt.

Talking to Tita Josie about this is my last recourse. I will only do it if I became truly desperate. Although I still think I won't do it even then. If I become too much desperate about this, that means its all over and my adopted parents has won.

Yesterday, Robin and I did our best to avoid his uncle and Mr.Gilbert. I practically kept myself to Robin's room. Thankfully, Mr.Akage and Mr.Gilbert went out to have a little date. Robin thinks they left the house to give us a breathing room. Once again, Mr.Akage and Mr.Gilbert were considerate to my situation.

This morning, Robin and I escaped the penthouse early. We went to a pancake diner to have breakfast. That also means we forgo taking the lunch Mr.Gilbert usually make for us. Mr.Gilbert must feel hurt that we left early...

"No! No!" I shook my head frantically to dispel that thought. Robin gave me a questioning look. I winced. "I was thinking how disappointed and sad Mr.Gilbert must be feeling right now that we escaped away from him early..."

"Argh..." Robin sighed in resignation. "You still care for other people's feeling..."

"I was being considerate. But that was only for a moment." I said defensively.

Robin gave me a small smile. "I don't blame you though. I know this will hurt Gilbert's feeling as well but what can we do? We have this thing between us and them..."

"What thing is going on? And who is them?"

Robin and I both almost jumped from the bench out of fright when AnneMarie suddenly turned up behind me. She placed her chin on top of my right shoulder. "Is there something going on?" She asked while placing herself before me.