Punishment

(ZANE AKAGE)

Learning that I don't just have one but two wards called in the headmaster's office was a shame I have to live down forever. It also made me question the wisdom of raising children. It feels unfair somehow. I have done everything for them, gave Robin and Blu all the luxury in the world. Love them the best that I can. Do I really deserve to be summoned to the headmaster's office when I never caused this kind of ruckus when I was still a student?

"They have a saying that your child will triple the effect of your bad habits when they inherit it. I was never a model student during my school days but I was never called to the principal's office," Mr.Montemayor said. "I guess the saying was true. AnneMarie did triple my bad habits. She got called in this office, twice now in just this year alone..."

"I was a model student. A straight A student," I shared since I feel like this is a sharing session now. We are all gathered around the conference table in Headmaster Brown's office. I sat between Robin and Blu while the Montemayors sat on either side of their daughter.

"We know our daughter, she does have a formidable temper. But I'm wondering what Blu has done to be called here," Mrs.Montemayor gave Blu a puzzled look. "What happened?"

Blu glanced at me as heightened color graced his face. "I...uhm...did an event. I invited someone to the Foundation Ball..." he said softly.

"Oh," Mrs.Montemayor looked at her daughter. "And AnneMarie said no to your invitation?"

The three children looked at each other before Blu shook his head. "She didn't say no per se..."

"I couldn't," AnneMarie said. "I was not the one he invited to the Foundation Ball," she added in a stoic tone.

Mr.Montemayor frowned, "You are not the...then who?" AnneMarie's father turned his eyes on my nephew and a dawning realization flashed on his eyes. "I see..." he nodded. "I now see what happened..."

"Really? I want to know what you think happened, Sir." I said while preparing myself to defend my nephew and my ward. No one in this room will insult my Robin and Blu because they decided to attend that ball together.

But instead of turning to the boys, Mr.Montemayor looked at his daughter. "Where does your jealousy took you, Annie? What happened?"

Blu looked down on his lap. I saw him wringing his hands there. I frowned at what the people in that office. I feel like I am the only one who does't know or cannot follow what is happening.

"Why are we automatically blaming the girl? Robin and Blu could be at fault too," I said.

"Of course we are!" Blu jumped quickly to agree with my statement. Mrs.Montemayor gave me an insulted look. "I wonder if you truly know the children you are raising or if you are too busy working in your banks to get to know the real them...but my husband and I know our daughter. We know how possessive AnneMarie is when it comes to Blu. We love her but we won't excuse her bad habits."

I winced at that. "I know my nephew that's why I am suggesting that Robin might be at fault here as well..."

Mrs.Montemayor acknowledged what I said. "Then I thank you for depending my daughter, COO. But like I said, we know our AnneMarie. She is a wonderful daughter and a good student but she has an unhealthy attachment to her bestfriend. We tried to dissuade her as much as we can, we are hoping she will outgrow it or Blu will develop feelings beyond friendship for AnneMarie. But we know that once Blu has fallen for another, we know if trouble arises, AnneMarie will be at fault."

"I tried blackmailing them!" AnneMarie suddenly announces. We all gaped at her in surprise.

"Blackmail? How?" Mr.Montemayor asked in great puzzlement.