Smooth and Calm

(ZANE AKAGE)

I checked on the boys before going to bed. I thought I have to check on two rooms but when I didn't see any lights under Robin's door, I surmised that Blu is with my nephew.

That's not surprising at all. On the contrary it's a blessing because I noticed that Robin is more lively in the morning after sleeping with Blu on his room.

What surprised me was when I turned the knob, Robin's door is locked. Why is it locked?

"Gilbert," I called for my love. "Fetch me the master's keys."

"Here," I turned my head and smile as Gilbert approached with the master's keys in hand. He already shed the apron that is part of his uniform. "Are you done with the cleaning?" I asked as he stood beside me.

Gilbert nodded, "I've been done cleaning for awhile. I was just checking the wine cooler to see if I will need to replenish some of the bottles there."

"Okay," I leaned to kiss his cheek. "I will just check on the boys. Will you start getting ready for bed?"

"I will," Gilbert handed me the keys before he moved to pass me to walk to the master's bedroom. I lazily followed him with my eyes. Staring at Gilbert's back. "See you later," I said when Gilbert got to the door of our room.

Gilbert frowned at me and I winked at him. He rolled his eyes on me before entering our room and closing the door. I chuckled and insert the key to Robin's room so I can open it.

I needed a moment for my eyes to adjust to the semi darkness of my nephew's room. My eyes automatically went to the bed and I exhaled in relief when I saw the boys sleeping there.

Blu, lying on the left side of the bed, was in fetal position and hugging a pillow instead of putting his head on it.
Robin's arm in the meantime was stretched on the spot where Blu's pillow should be. Blu's head was just under it, almost bumping Robin's armpit.

My nephew was splayed on the bed. His head turned on the window side. Only half of his body was covered by the comforter.

I sighed and went to Blu's side to arrange the comforter over my ward's body. I passed a hand on Blu's head to gently pat it. I smiled when Blu's hand moved so he can scratch his cheek.

After securing the cover on Blu, I went to Robin's side of the bed. I also arranged the comforter to fully cover my nephew. Then I sat on the edge of the bed to look at Robin's sleeping face.

Moments like this give me peace. Seeing Robin peacefully resting, not agitated, fretful or having a nightmare, is a blessing for me. I don't deserve it, but I will greedily covet it. Robin having a peaceful night of sleep.

I reached out to sweep a lock of hair that fell on Robin's eyes. My nephew's hair is getting long, should I remind him to get a haircut? Maybe I should talk Robin for a haircut myself. I think my nephew and I need some moments to rediscover our bond.

"Are you getting tired taking care of me, Uncle?"

"Pathetic boy," I sighed when I remember that question. A moment of doubt and weakness for Robin. It happens. Robin is strong but he is not made of alloy steel. There will be a soft spot on his body...somewhere.

And my job is to always assure Robin that I will be here for him...always. Because I love him and he is an important part of me.

I stayed for a couple of more minutes, just watching over the boys before I stood up to leave Robin's room. I gently shut the door and that is also a blessing.