Prologue

Vedant descends the stairs and takes his seat on the dinning table after greeting his father.

His father, Mr Rowan Rajput sets down his newspapers and helps himself to his meal when Ruchi, his wife serves Vedant his breakfast.

He greets his mother and asks "Where is Shalini?"

Ruchi takes her seat and answers "She had an appointment with the doctor, you should be glad I'm a good mother else I would have sent you off to work hungry."

"Do you know why she left so early?"

"I don't know Vedant...forget about that now, tell me what you have planned for your fifth wedding anniversary. What will you give your wife?" Ruchi asks happily.

"I haven't planned anything mum." Vedant answers and Rowan interrupts.

"You have to plan one now. If I had been like you, your mother would have left me long ago." he bursts into laughter.

After some minutes, Vedant leaves for work but despite the fact that he looked ready for work he couldn't concentrate on anything, he couldn't stop thinking of what might be wrong with Shalini's health and why she didn't tell him before leaving to see the doctor.

Hours pass unconsciously when one of his employees, Tinnu Dhawan walks in.

"When did you come in?" Vedant asks when he notices Tinnu's presence.

"Just now sir." Tinnu answers
"I'm not through with the papers yet."

"Alright sir but I want to talk to you... about something personal." Tinnu continues.

"Take a seat then."

Tinnu sits down and announces "The thing is sir, I'll be getting married next month."

"Congratulations Tinnu that's wonderful news ."

"I want to invite both you and your wife to my wedding."

"Shalini will gladly come, just tell us the date and venue and we'll be there."

"I heard your fifth marriage anniversary is tomorrow Mr Rajput."

"Yes it is, is there anything else?" Vedant inquires.
"Just one more sir."

"Ok. What is it?"

"I want your advice sir, it's an arranged wedding and you sir have a positive result from it. I'll like your advice on how I should go about it."

"Mr Dhawan you want my advice?" Vedant asks.

"Yes sir please."

Vedant stared at Tinnu and eventually gave him all the advice he needed before leaving for home.

He enters the house expecting to see Shalini there but that doesn't happen, he asks his mum in fear.

"Mum is Shalini back home yet?"

"Don't worry dear she's upstairs and  she'll be down soon. Go freshen up and return for dinner." Ruchi orders and Vedant runs upstairs. He's soon disappointed on not seeing Shalini and returns downstairs after a shower.

He's about complaining of Shalini's absence when Shalini takes a seat next to him, she turns to face him and gives a heart melting smile.

"How did the doctor's appointment go dear?" Rowan asks.

"It was fine." Shalini answers and smiles.

"Are you playing mind games with me?" Vedant whispers.

"No, why do you ask?" Shalini whispers back.

"You went out without telling me and when mum said you were upstairs, I went there but you weren't up there."

"I was upstairs but I came down."

"That's enough whispering you two. Vedant how will Shalini not visit the doctor if you keep disturbing her meals." Ruchi interferes while Rowan stops himself from smiling.

"But mum..."

"But no Vedant, your mum is right, let Shalini eat in peace." Rowan concludes.

Everyone eats in silence and right after, retires to bed.

Shalini sits on the bed brushing her hair when Vedant joins her and asks worriedly
"Won't you tell me what the doctor said?"

"You heard me downstairs Vedant, I'm perfectly fine. I promise."

"The doctor can't just check you and say 'ma'am your fine'."

"Your too much Vedant, I'm off to sleep okay. Goodnight." Shalini drifts off to sleep leaving Vedant to ponder on Tinnu's question at the office, he traces back his memory to what made him and Shalini meet each other.

                       5 years ago

Vedant was in love with Rachna Rawant, a modern Indian girl to the disapproval of his parents. He was ready to do anything for Rachna despite knowing that his parents wouldn't let them get married.

He could go to any length for her. Soon, he decided to spend the rest of his life with her and proposed to her.

To his surprise, she rejects him.

"I'm sorry Vedant, I just can't marry you, we can't be together."

"But why Rachna? We love each other so much. I love you."

"No Vedant I don't love you, I'm sorry." Rachna says and disappears into the night.

Vedant gave up on love and was shattered, he didn't talk to anyone neither did he want to eat for days.

Ruchi blamed Rachna for this and continually pleaded for Vedant to change. After many weeks, Vedant finally returned to his old self to his parents happiness.

Ruchi didn't want her son to go through that pain again and tried to convince him to get married. She even talked to Shagird, Vedant's best friend to convince him.

Vedant had enough and gave his mother the permission to go through with whatever she wanted. Both Ruchi and Shagird's mother Indira Tiwari began the search for Vedant's future wife.

Support me by clicking the star in the corner.