Vedant's pov

For the past week mum has been talking about this even for the last few years. It's always about getting married.

I can't take my word back now, it's been given to my mother.

It's time to get married

The trip to Lucknow got me thinking of Rachna, I felt betrayed, my parents were right and maybe if I agreed to their opinion on our match, I would have saved myself from heart break. The Maheshwaris seemed kind.

I sat right there while I could see my parents talking with the girl's parents and aunt. The only thing I wanted to do was to close my ears but the last thing I remember clearly was when Mr Maheshwari asks his sister to get my prospective bride.

Her name stuck to my mind; Shalini.

Her steps were slow and she's quite beautiful, the very first time she smiled I couldn't get over the fact that I was melting inside.

I just can't fall in love again, my heart had already been shattered and was recovering, I won't risk it a second time.

******

Asha helps Ria in bringing the remaining snacks while the parents sent Shalini and Vedant away for an alone time. The couple's parents made all needed enquiries and finally the alliance is made.

"Vedant did you like Shalini?" Tanya asks Vedant who answers with no interest in the topic "Yes I did mum, after all your choice is always the best."

"Don't feel pressured Vedant, speak your mind." Rowan urges his son.

"Dad she's alright." he paused and continued "Shalini will make a good wife for me and a wonderful daughter in law for the two of you." Vedant exits the room.

Ruchi snaps once he's out "Why are you trying to influence his decisions?"

"Ruchi, I should be asking you that." Rowan shot back.
"I'm trying to help him recover after what that shameless girl did to him, why do you have a problem with that?"

"Your not considering his feelings, you should take into consideration his opinions. He's only getting married because of you and it's not right." Rowan argued.

"Isn't she a nice match for our son."

"She is but our son doesn't love her. This is the twenty first century Ruchi."

"Damn the century then. You know what happened to our boy and I won't let him return to that state again. I am his mother and I know what is right for him." Ruchi huffs and walks out on Rowan.

Indira and Shagird came visiting and Ruchi makes a necessary announcement.

"We've made contact with the priest and the horoscopes have been matched. The engagement will take place next month and the best time for the wedding will be in the next five months."

"That's great Ruchi, congratulations." Indira replies.

"Thanks Indira, I've waited for this for so long and now my prayers has been answered and it's all because of you."

"Why me?"

"If it hadn't been for your friendship with Mrs Garodia, we wouldn't have found Shalini."

"Alright then, I'll take the credit, will Vedant and Shalini still see each other again soon? The world has changed Ruchi, they can't stay without seeing each other and then just get married."

"I spoke to Shalini's parents and their house is big enough to accommodate all of us, we'll stay there until the wedding and you and Shagird have to come along. Mrs Garodia and her family will be there too. We'll be leaving in the next three days."

"If you insist...then we'll both come."

***

Shalini has a difficult time braiding her hair when Tanya walks in to help her.

"Did you like Vedant?"

"...Yes mum, his quite nice." Shalini hesitates and keeps quiet again.

"What did you two talk about?"

"Nothing much mum, he only asked of my name, likes and dislikes." She lies.

"I hope your not lying to me."

"No mum, why would I?"

"If you don't like him, then we can always reject this proposal."

"Mum, I said that I like him very much."

"Fine, I was just joking. They'll come over and stay with us till the wedding."

"When are they coming?" Shalini's shaky voice almost betrays her.

"In three days dear, your engagement is next month and the wedding in 5 months. I really hope things work out, you've been through a lot."

"Yes mum but if it doesn't I always have you, dad and Asha."

"Don't say nonsense, have you forgotten that Asha will leave us too...You must leave Shalini, it's for the best." Tanya then stands up, wishes Shalini a good night and leaves.

Support me by clicking the star in the corner.
❤️