The confrontation

1 week later

Ria and Surjeet meet the officer in charge of Hema's case and are informed that the test result had come out, only one of the fingerprints matched.

"It matched with those of Mrs Khushi Harish." The officer tells them and Surjeet thanks the man before getting up to leave.

They drive quietly to their home and meet Raj and Khushi talking to Rachna. Ria losses all  control and darts to them ready to confront her mother's murderer.

"You murderer !!!" She points at Khushi who freezes at her spot.

This attracts the family's attention and they surround the scene "What do you mean Ria?, Why would you call Khushi a murderer?" Tanya speaks first shocked by the accusation.

"Why don't you ask her yourself ?Ask her who she killed."

"What nonsense are you talking about! This is no way up treat a visitor." Khushi finds her voice.

"Tell them what you did three years ago. NOW." Ria barked at Khushi while Surjeet ordered Shekhar to call the police.

"Don't you dare disrespect my mother that way." Raj points at Ria and turns to his mother "Let's go now, you've endured enough insults in this house ."

"You two aren't going anywhere until you tell us what aunt is talking about." Shalini blocks their way.

"Get out of our way Shalini else I'll..." Raj starts but is interrupted by Vedant "You'll do what? You can't touch her as long as I'm around."

"I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere, we can all sit and talk it out." Rachna chipped in.

"It's best you stay put of this." Indira snaps at Rachna.

"Ria just tell us what exactly happened." Aniket demands getting irritated.

"What do I say brother?" She cried "She's the reason why our mother is not with us today." She wailed.

There is silence as everyone takes in the news but Tanya decides to break it."Is what Ria saying true?" She asked perplexed.

"You can't accuse a person without evidence, do you even know what you're accusing my mother of ?"

"BE QUIET !!!" Aniket yelled and walks towards  Raj and grabbing his collar when he was close. "I've tolerated you and your mother long enough. It's been three years and you both haven't learnt to stay away from us. You left Shalini on the altar then come back to torment her. It's enough. Don't utter a single word while I deal with your mother or I'll tear you apart with my bare hands."

Vedant recalls Shalini's betrayal and is taken aback, surprised to learn that the man who had betrayed Shalini and left her helpless on the altar had been before him all this while, why didn't he notice it? Why did he come back?' he asked himself.

"No Aniket, the police is on their way, they'll take care of them." Surjeet said.

"Let them come Surjeet but I must know the truth." He stops  and turns to Khushi who in turn sees hatred that had been built up for years and rage in his eyes but she was one woman who refused to be intimidated easily.

"Tell me Mrs Khushi Harish. Did you or did you not kill my mother?" Aniket roars in anger, she refuses to answer thus stirring up more anger in Ria "Don't you try to deny it Khushi we have evidence right here with us. I have all the proof needed to put you away forever."

"This is absurd, do you really believe this Shalini? That my mum would ever do such. You know we can't stoop to such level... it's too low even for us." Raj tries to blackmail Shalini but Shekhar doesn't let him continue "Don't test my patience Raj. Shalini wants nothing to do with you get away from her now."

"You have said enough Raj. Time and time again you've deceived Shalini even in the past but today marks the end of it all." Asha says for the first time but Raj won't back off easily.

"You fool who do you think you are?"

"She's my sister. I've been quiet for too long. I won't have you insult my family right infront of me."

"You heard us Raj or do you need us to spell it out for you." Shagird adds and Raj steps back to stay by his mother's side.

"Khushi answer him are you guilty or not?" Tanya inquires

"I'm guilty. I killed your mother three years back. She was too nosy. She deserved what she got and I enjoyed every minute of it while it lasted." Khushi confessed with pride and Ria slaps her in response.

Tanya and Ruchi pull her back and settled her on the sofa where she begins crying again. The police arrived on time and inquire of the problem. Surjeet and Rowan attend to the inspector who ask a few questions and put Khushi on handcuffs.

The police proceed to handcuff Raj but they are stopped by Khushi "He has no hand in this. I'm the one who committed the crime and not him, let him go." The inspector reluctantly leaves him and takes Khushi away.

"Do you need an escort or what Raj? Get out of here now before I deal severely with you." Aniket says angrily and watchs Raj leave quietly.

***

Khushi is denied bail or any visits. An officer however leads her to a room where he throws her in then Raj walks in.

"I can't believe what happened." He starts furious with himself.

"We were too comfortable what did you expect?"

"I'm sorry mum."

"It's not your fault son."

"They denied you bail and even a simple visit. I only came here after bribing a few officers. If that's what it takes I'm ready to continue doing so." Raj continued.

"I might be stuck here for a while but you mustn't join me. Rather, you should think of a way to destroy those Maheshwaris and fast too. Time is of essence." Khushi answered.

"I assure you mother that I'll come up with something." he held her hand and vowed.

"I'm sure you will but be fast about it." she replied.

Support me by clicking the star below 😌