Fire

Aniket, Rowan, Vedant, Ruchi, Indira and Tanya sat in the living room while Asha, Shagird and Shekhar were outside.

Shalini was on her way downstairs to join them but Rachna stopped her on the way and takes her to a room.

They chat for a while before Rachna stands up leave but promised to come back. She however closes and locks the door from outside to an unsuspecting Shalini.

Rachna joins the others in the sitting room and engages in conversation only stopping to sip some tea.

The room will go ablaze soon, well done Rachna.

Time goes by and the room is on fire.

Shalini bangs the door several times to no response at the realisation, she held her hand to her mouth as she coughed repeatedly while waving off the smoke which proved to be ineffective since half the room is engulfed in smoke. She holds back the tears threatening to come out and starts praying while searching the room for anything that could be of help.

She finds a blanket and hides under it whilst  hoping for help to come soon.

Swamini runs into the living room "I smell smoke, I think a room is on fire." she exclaims and Aniket is immediately on his feet "Is everyone here?"

Everyone looks around "Shalini isn't here." Rowan points out as Shekhar, Shagird and Asha come in after Swamini's alert.

They run around the house trying to locate the fire, the room is identified is by Shekhar "I can hear crackling inside there's fire in there."

He turns to Chetan and asks for fire extinguishers. The ladies call out for Shalini but no one answers.

"How pathetic, she should be roasted by now." Rachna mumbles.

Vedant tries to kick the door open but it's off no use. All men give the door a hard push at which it falls on impact.

The room is covered in smoke and the women use their scarfs to cover their noses. The men use the fire extinguishers to put out the fire.

Asha sights a hand under a blanket and shrieks "Someone is there!!" She points at the hand and Vedant runs to remove the blanket.

"Shalini!!!"

"Someone call the doctor."

Indira yells at Chetan who brings some water but she still doesn't wake up. Vedant carries her to her room and lays her on the bed.

The doctor who is a next door neighbour darts in and checks on Shalini.

He comes out minutes later and gives them instructions for her health.

"What were you doing there?" Tanya asks once Shalini regained consciousness with tears trickling down her cheeks.

"Stop it Tanya. You heard the doctor, she's meant to rest now."

Asha stops by Rachna as they walked out of the room.
"Rachna one of your earrings is missing."

Rachna immediately touches her earlobes "It must have fallen when I was running to the fire scene or maybe I just misplaced it somewhere and I didn't notice... I'll go find it. Thanks."

Rachna searched under her bed, on the dresser, on the bed and repeated the same actions with the words "Where is that earring?"

It dawned on her that it wasn't in her room she tries to recall her steps "It must have fallen..." She gasps.

"Looking for this?" She turns around to see Vedant holding up her half burnt earring.

"Where did you get that from?I've been looking all over for it." she feigned relief.

"It was at the same room that caught fire. Pretty obvious isn't it Rachna?"

"Let me have it." she reached for it but Vedant gets it out of her grasps. "I said give it."

"Why the rush?...I never knew you could stoop so low Rachna after all the years we spent together, to think I even knew you. I could have never imagined this rotten act from you." He glared at her.

"Are you accusing me now?"

"Why was your jewellery in that room?"

"When you and the others hauled down that door, didn't it appear to you that I also came in with the others and it must have fallen there?"

"Stop lying. I remember seeing you just outside the door and when the door came down we put the fire out. Did you perhaps walk into the fire when you came in, does that explain the state the earring is in? For god's sake Rachna it's half burnt it was there long before we barged in."

"Just stop...maybe I set the room in fire, so what? We both know that you're not in love with Shalini don't act so concerned about her before me."

"I can't believe this. What will you gain from all of this?"

"I want to teach your mother a lesson Vedant. When we were together, she said many horrible things about me that I didn't feel like I deserved anyone but I know that we deserve each other now. I'm still in love with you, that's why I'm back for you."

Support me by clicking the star below.☺️