Holi

It's Holi

The house wasn't in high spirits like it should have been. The tumeric ceremony was coming up soon and Vedant's family were to leave for their new house before the ceremony.

Vedant didn't question Shalini about Raj because of her silence.

Guests come in and the Holi party starts, colours were the order of the day. The Bhopalis encouraged the Maheshwaris to participate in the festival and reminded them that Shalini was left with just a few days to stay with them before getting married and starting a new life with Vedant to lift their spirits up.

Shagird was up to his usual mischievous ways as he planned to intoxicate Vedant with some bhang. Shalini couldn't however forget what Rachna had told her about Vedant's first love.

Shagird tricked Vedant into taking several glasses of bhang and asked him to do him a favour.

"Anything you want Shagird. I'll do it." Vedant said confidently in his intoxicated state.

"That's why your my best friend."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Tell Shalini that you love her."

"WHAT?!"

Vedant exclaimed. Shagird feared he was not really in a drunk state but he composed himself quickly. "What do you mean by what? You said you'll do anything for me. Aren't we friends?"

"We are but how will Shalini react to that?"

"Do it for me please Vedant."
Shagird pleaded

"Fine. Lead me to Shalini."

Shagird pointed to the direction where Shalini stood and told Vedant to walk over there.

Vedant walked up to her and started "Shalini there's something I've always wanted to tell you...for a long time now."

Shalini takes in his state and shakes her head at his slurred speech "Vedant you are drunk ."

"No Shalini let me speak. Just this once please."

"Vedant have you smeared Shalini yet." Asha walks over.

"No." Vedant innocently answers and Asha hands some red colour to him "Come on I'm waiting." She gave a huge smile waiting for the couple before her to get all romantic "You're freaking them out." Shagird said from behind her.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Asha shot back but Shagird ignored her.

"Hi Shalini."

"Hi Shagird."

"I'll have to take Asha away. Please excuse us."
Shagird continued this time putting his hands on Asha's shoulders to steer her away before she ruins his plans.

"Why?" Asha said the same time Shalini said "Okay."

"What..." Asha doesn't get to finish her sentence because she's taken away by Shagird.

"You wanted to tell me something Vedant?"

"Yes I was saying that I lo..."

Vedant suddenly falls from intoxication but manages to smear Shalini's head with the red colour Asha gave him.

'How could I forget that he's a lightweight.' Shagird groaned and slapped his head before running to help him up and take him to his room to rest.

"What did he say Shalini?" Asha asks curiously.

"I didn't hear it."

"He smeared quite well, don't you agree?" Asha snickered as she looked at her sister's forehead.

"You are really silly." Shalini replied and walked away.

Asha leaves to confront Shagird. "What was Vedant about to say?"

"Nothing I know." Shagird shrugged

"You liar, I've told you a lot of things and you can't afford to tell me one little thing."

"I'll say it." He sighed "I told him to tell Shalini that he loves her."

"WHAT?!" She squeaked.

"That's exactly what he wanted to say... I've told you what you want to know."

"Are you sure of that?" Asha interrogated some more "What else do you want to hear Asha. Do you want to hear me tell you too?" He smirked.

"Stop it, I'm serious now."

"I'm saying the truth but you look good when you're asking for something. Ask more often. You should be a police officer that way when you show the criminals your face they'll blurt out the truth."

***

Vedant wakes up with a splitting headache as he tries recalling the events that transpired before he passed out.

He remembers having some bhang and he stood to approach the dressing table and looked into the mirror.

'Shagird must have made me drink a ton.' he went back to the conversation he had with Shagird and how he passed out infront of Shalini.

'She must think I'm an alcoholic, what have you done Shagird?' He whined and left the room to look for Shagird.

"Ah! Vedant you're up now." Shagird started on seeing Vedant heading his way "You made me drink, didn't you?"

"I can see that the bhang still has its effects on you."

"It's not it Shagird. What if I did something wrong today or even said something stupid to Shalini."

"You wouldn't because I was keeping an eye on you, I watched you all through and Shalini didn't even hear whatever you said."

"How long have you been doing this ? Cause I'm sure you've been playing some tricks before now."

"Since you said love is a fairytale Vedant... I'm responsible for removing the buttons from your shirts, adding chili to your lentils and any other thing too. I've proved to you that love is like a fairytale."

"I should have known that it was all you at least ...it will all end when we leave this house tomorrow."

"But still I proved to you that you have feelings for Shalini."

Vedant didn't reply him as he left the room.

Support me by clicking the star below. 😌