I don't mind.

Shalini walks into the kitchen with a scarf on her head as she tells Swamini what to do, Vedant walks in and watched her closely.

"Don't add sugar in uncle Surjeet's tea." She warns.

"You always tell me that anyway the engagement ring looks good on your finger." Swamini teases aware of Vedant's presence.

"Are you going to stare at the ring or make the tea?"

"Your still wearing the bangles I got you." Vedant finally speaks up. He comes closer to her and then greets her. She in turn greets him and asks "Should I take them off?"

"No, it fits you perfectly. I just wanted to know if youyr going to go out today."

"I don't think so."

Asha storms in and starts "Remember that you have to buy father's gift."
Shalini glares at her sister

"Were you eavesdropping, didn't I tell you that it's bad manners?"

"Sorry Shalini,I couldn't help myself."
She pauses and turns to Vedant "Next week is our father's birthday, we've all gotten gifts for him except Shalini, so she'll be going out today to get one.  It'll be nice if you take her out... that's if you don't mind."

Vedant replies "I don't mind at all."

Shalini disagrees "But Asha you said you'll escort me right, what's this now?"

Asha persists "I know I said I will but something just came up." Shalini's about inquiring more when Vedant interrupts "Do you have a problem with me taking you out?"

"No...I'll just get ready."

A few minutes later Shalini joins Vedant downstairs and excuses herself to get Surjeet's tea when Asha stops her.

"You'll have to go now else you two will be late. I'll give uncle his tea."

"What are you up to now, we'll be late for what?" Shalini asks annoyed.

"You'll be late to watch your engagement. It will be uploaded on the tv screen soon." Shekhar answers

"The video came out so soon?" Vedant inquires taken aback.

"Not the official video Vedant, the one my mum made me take." Shekhar replies.

"Hurry up, aunt Ria is making snacks for us. We won't delay just so you know but have fun."

Vedant opens the shop door to let Shalini out first. Shalini looks around and the shop owner Mr Manish walks up to them and blesses them.

Mr Manish is a close friend to Aniket, they're like brothers. He is married to Saraswati and they have three children Vikram, Rohan and their only daughter Priyanka. All of them are married except Priyanka and were all present at the engagement ceremony.

After a  little discussion about the engagement, Manish apologizes "I'm sorry I forgot you came here to buy something but I completely bothered you."

"No uncle, don't say that."

"Fine dear, go on and help yourself, be happy."Manish says as he excused himself.

"What are we here for again?" Vedant asks as they walk through different sections.

"I'm here to buy a gift for my father, you may do as you please." Shalini answers.

After several minutes of roaming around the store, Vedant complains "Won't you get something already?"

"I will if you just stay patient, I have no idea of what to get him." Shalini replies angrily. Vedant on seeing this takes deep breaths and decides to help her out.

"Just get him a card." he suggests

"There's going to be a big party, he'll have many cards, what will make mine different then?"

"How about some photos and videos of old times." Vedant suggests again

"Aunt Ria will probably think of that but I can't do that anyways." Shalini refuses.

"How about new clothes, shoes or even a wristwatch?" Vedant continues trying his luck.

"Mum ensures dad always has new clothes, Asha or Shekhar may probably give him new shoes and he already has so many wrist watches and that might be uncle Surjeet's plan as well."

"Then what do you want to get him?" Vedant asks
Shalini shakes her head and mumbles "Think Shalini think."
She finally asks one of the attendees for the book section.

"What will you do with books?"
"I'll get one for my father." she answers and picks a diary.

"You'll give him that for a birthday gift?"

"Yes, he'll write all the memories we'll share together before I leave the house. It will be an emotional moment when I give it to him but it will be worth it." Shalini holds the book to her chest while Vedant looks on.

They pay for the diary and Vedant drives them home.
Shalini tucks the diary into her bag and beckons on Vedant to come in with her.

"Do you really think this is right?" he asks while staring into her eyes.

"Do I think what is right?" She inquires perplexed.

"I mean this marriage...are you okay with all these?"

Shalini deviates her eyes from his, looks at her house and back to his eyes before replying "I have no objection to my parent's wishes, they've given me a lot and I'll repay them the best I can and if this is what they want then I'm not against it but if you are..."

"No Shalini, I don't have any objection whatsoever. Just like you said." he hangs his head as he answered her.

"Shall we go in?"

"After you."

Asha waits for them to get to the doorstep and exclaims "Thank God your back!"

"Drama queen why the noise?" Shalini retorts with narrow eyes.

"I was getting so worried, I was about to tell dad to call Mr Manish just in case there was an explosion or you had been kidnapped..." Asha answers in a rush

"Be grateful that you didn't, I would have given you a good beating."

"What gift did you get?" Asha goes on

"You'll see it at the party next week, don't even try spying on me." Shalini responds

"Fine I won't. Oh Vedant I completely ignored you, sorry for that."

"It's okay, do you know where Shagird is? He should be back from the shopping trip with his mum right?"

"Yes, they arrived some minutes before you, his upstairs."

"And my dad?"

"He's talking with my dad in the dining room. We've been waiting for quite a while. It's time to watch the engagement."

"I thought there will be no delays?" Shalini smiles.
"It's your luck you have someone like Shekhar as a family member else we would have started long ago without you."

Support me by clicking the star in the corner.
🌟