Life-Changing Job

Aphmau had jumped back into things after turning in Ivy with no powers. That was one of many weights lifted from her shoulders. Aaron and her had a job to do. It was a small job of just catching a group of thugs with magic items. They reportedly didn't have powers , which would make the job easier if they didn't pull them out of their ass by the end.
The town was just a train ride away. It was a good thing they left at the time they did because Natsu was once again complaining about how the cats went back to Edolas. They had a job to do, it was just above his understanding.

They said their goodbyes to the rest of the guild and headed to the train station hand-in-hand. Once they were seated in a booth, Aphmau wrapped her arm around Aaron's and snuggled into his warmth. He pecked a small kiss on the top of her head before taking a small power nap.

The train moved for about 30 minutes at high speeds before they found themselves at the stop, walking through the town to find out where the group's HQ was.

"Hey babe, that looks pretty sketchy, wanna go check it out?" Aphmau turned to the dark alleyway he was pointing and grabbed his hand again.

"That may be a bad idea," She smiled, "absolutely I do." You would think that Aaron is was her voice of reason, and most times he was, but he enjoyed the fights. The two of them did stupid shit together all the time. His willingness to get things done, even when taking the dumb route was one of the many reasons Aphmau adored him.

They made their way down the alley, but Aphmau paused as the reached the end, a chill shooting up her spine. She shivered slightly, which Aaron felt. He squeezed her hand as a sign of reassurance. It, of course, was a dead end. She turned around while Aaron patted the wall for a secret exit.

Not completely to her surprise, there was a small group with 2 women and 3 men. They were dressed in ragged clothes with dirt on them and it seemed that they had just come back from a stealing run, judging by the burlap bags that were thrown over their shoulders.

"Hey Babe, it looks like we have company." Aphmau spoke, a smirk growing on her face. Aaron spun around, his sword rested on his shoulder.

"Why're you here?" One of the woman thugs spoke. Her voice was extremely scratchy. She seemed sick. Aphmau began to feel bad.

Aphmau pulled her hand out from her pocket. They stayed dead still after taking notice of the bright Fairy Tail emblem. "We're part of Fairy Tail, we have a job to do. Are you guys the people we're supposed to take down?" She heard Aaron slap his forehead in disbelief.

"Why in the name of God would you ask the suspected people if they're the people we're looking for?"

"Well what else would I ask? They're coming into a dark alley with bags stuffed to the brim with things! Is that not a little suspect to you?"

"You don't ask them if they're the people Aph, they could lie and you're gullible!" Aphmau bursted out into giggles, almost forgetting about their task at hand.

"Aph...like...Aphmau?" A childs voice said. The ex lord shot her head back to the little group with wide eyes. A small girl with a cloak and a hidden red dress shuffled out from behind them, her hands behind her back. One of the male adults tried to stop her from coming near the mages but she stumbled closer. "Lilith stop! Not safe!"

Aphmau turned back to the child to get a good look at her. She was very small and skinny, like one little breeze could knock her over. She had ginger hair and ocean blue eyes. Aaron pulled out the job request paper from his back pocket, scanning over the picture to find the young girl on the request. She was nowhere to be seen. She wasn't even mentioned.

"You? You are Aph...mau?" She squeaked again. It was like a plead for information. The adults were too scared to come near them.

"You're right, that's me. How'd you know?" She swung a book from around her back. It was a picture book. Drawn on the front was a well known painting of Aphmau where she was bent down, the ground trembling and glowing beneath her finger tips. It was the first day she was in Phoenix Drop, when Garroth had asked her to heal the dying soil. After the village had been abandoned, someone found the picture hanging in her house.