A Thank You and A Fight

"Aphmau, Aaron! Come here, please!" Mira called out. Aphmau glared at Aaron and put his hands up in a playfully defensive manner.

"You wanted us, Mira?" Aphmau asked, crossing her arms.

"Yeah! This nice lady here wanted to say thank you."

The lady stood up and hugged Aphmau, then Aaron. "Thank you both so very much. That nasty man would've taken my son from me if you hadn't come in time." Her eyes held tears, but she wiped them away.

"A nasty man he is," Aphmau replied, her eyebrows furrowing at Zane's mention. "It's crazy how he could stoop lower than he did in the past." She mumbled to herself.

"I wanted to give you a reward for saving my son." She tried to hand Aphmau the bag of gems, but Aphmau smiled sweetly at her and pushed the jewels away. Carlos had mentioned something about their money problems on the way to the guild, though it wasn't as severe in his words given that he was far too young to understand. She couldn't bring herself to take their gems.

"Keep the gems, Miss. Our reward is knowing that you and your son are safe." Aaron nodded at Aphmau's response and tapped her shoulder gently to get her attention, holding up the job paper.

"Ah..." They'd missed the trains for the day. Aphmau turned back towards Aaron. "We can go on the job tomorrow, Aaron. Today was one hell of a day, and I need a nap and some food in my stomach because we never were able to get that."

Aaron simply nodded, smiled at the woman, waved at the little boy (who waved back at him), and walked towards the bar to get some food.

"If anything happens again, you can go to this address or back to the guild," Aphmau said while writing down something on a paper from her bag. She handed the piece of paper to the lady.

Wendy checked up on the woman again, learning her name was Liz. After giving them the okay, Liz and Carlos went off on their own path. Aphmau slumped back down into her seat near Aaron, and he passed her some fries.

"You're a lovely soul," Aphmau hummed while happily chowing down on some of the fries. Aaron chuckled at her commentary before continuing to eat.

The other people in the guild were simply amazed by Aphmau and the fact that she was so quickly able to talk to Aaron, but she and Aaron ignored them and kept whispering. Of course, the other factor was that they were much closer in age and had a lot in common, despite being opposites on many fronts.

Aphmau laid her head down on the table and closed her eyes.

"Are you so tired that you're gonna try and sleep in the guild? You know Gray and Natsu are here, right?" Aaron muttered, motioning towards Team Natsu's table.

"Yeah, what of it?" Aphmau tilted her head in Aaron's direction groggily.

"I think I'll let you figure that out on your own." He grinned, turning towards Natsu, Grey, and Lucy, who were all sitting at the same table.

She shut her eyes again and started drifting into a lovely slumber until she was awoken by loud yelling from the other side of the guild.

"YOU WANNA SAY THAT AGAIN, ICE PRINCESS?!" Natsu screeched, alerting everyone in the guild about what would happen.

"YEAH, I WILL SAY IT AGAIN! YOU'RE AN IDIOT, FIRE BREATH! HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET THAT CONFUSED WITH THAT?" Gray yelled back to him. Aphmau looked at Aaron for an explanation, but he was too busy trying not to laugh. He'd told her so. What he wasn't expecting came shortly after.

Aphmau groaned and stood up, chucking the empty wooden chair next to her across the room, nailing Natsu in the head and just missing Gray by a hair.

"I'M GONNA KILL YOU SHORT STACK!" The pink-haired loud mouth screamed. It hadn't taken him long to hop back onto his feet. His attention was entirely directed away from Gray, so their fight was over.

"I'd like to see you try," Aphmau grinned, sitting back down to continue sleeping. She knew that would piss him off, which was why she did it. Natsu approached, yelling all kinds of stupid, incoherent threats. She was planning on extinguish his roaring flame.

"Are you even listening?!" Natsu wailed, getting more frustrated by the second.

"No, not really. Can you go away?" The short woman mumbled her request against the table. Of course, it was still loud enough for the blubbering idiot to hear.

"YOU'VE GOT SOME NERVE-" Aphmau only responded by raising her arm and flipping him off. Natsu, being the easily enraged person he was, grabbed her by the back collar of her shirt, pulling her up. She rubbed at her eyes and yawned. "I SWEAR, YOU'RE DEAD!" He slung his arm back for a punch, catching a glimpse of her stone-cold glare. He might've been dreaming, but he swore her eyes flash white for a split second before returning to normal. He froze.

"You can try to hurt me, but I'm going to advise against it." Aphmau was tired of the day. She needed to regain her energy after the horrific fight with Zane. All she wanted to do was sleep.

She would not let anyone else get away with hurting her ever again.

This boy and his commotion was the only blockade between her and her blissful rest. Natsu had the fire lit, covering his fist, but he hesitated.

"Have we scared you that bad? Is that what this is?"

We? He thought. His mind raced back to her eyes. When he re-examined her words, the way she said "we" wasn't right. It sounded like 2 people speaking. She tucked one of her bangs behind her ear. The odd marking on her cheek had turned white right before his eyes.

He didn't know what trouble he'd gotten into. Both of them were sharing control of the body now.

Aphmau didn't take long to kick her leg behind his, landing her heel on the back of his knees. The action forced him forward. He fell to the floor with a thud. She grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, leaning down so they could face him. "Today is not the day you wanna pull this shit. Do yourself a favor and go sit down." He jumped up. He was making a face of shock and confusion.

Aphmau strutted pridefully to the table with Aaron, sliding into her seat. "Next time you and Gray start fighting, look around to see who's in the room and trying to take a little nap. I did NOT just risk my life to save someone, only to come back to this guild and be tormented by your arrogance." She said out loud before laying her head back on the table.

The guild was silent. "Don't be so awkward. You can keep talking. I don't care about your conversations if you're using inside voices." With that, everyone in the room exploded about the unexpected event. It was not often that Natsu was put in his place.

Natsu looked enraged and was about to run in Aphmau's direction for round 2 before Lucy pulled him back to the table and started a conversation with him.

"What the hell prompted that? You were being so nice this morning." Aaron questioned, leaning his head on his hand.

"I guess seeing Zane this morning got me more than I wanted it to." They sat in silence for a moment. "Sorry, um, I'm not ready to explain yet. I just wanted them to shut up, but it was clear they weren't going to, so I did the only thing I could think of."

"That's fair enough. I guess it's something all of us have gotten used to since they've been doing this every day for as long as I've known them." Aphmau looked out of the window, noticing how dark it was.

"Man, time flew. I think I'm gonna go home and get some rest."

"Sounds good. I'm heading home too, so...do you want to walk together?" Aaron was expecting Aphmau to say no, but she responded with a gentle smile.

"Yeah, I think I'd like that." The two of them stood up and made their way for the door. "Night, everyone." She spoke, leaving the building with Aaron in tow.

"Weird." Gajeel mentioned.

"Today has been SO weird!" Levy replied. Mira chimed in.

"It looks like things are going to start changing around here. It's best we just change with it."

———————————————————

I hope you guys enjoyed!

Until next update~