Attacking at Night

The kids crept back behind the door.

"She didn't tell us she got hurt," Levin whined. The holes in the story they'd been told were being filled all at the same time.

"Leona! You're back! I need to tell you something and listen carefully! ______brought ________ about 15 minutes ago," Most of the conversation was muffled due to the atmosphere of the stuffy closet. Malachi could only string together a few words. Someone was injured. Someone was really badly injured.

When Leona opened the closet door minutes later, Malachi had the chance to peek out. Everyone who was at this battle had just returned, so where was his mother?

"Elfman WAS talking about mom!" When the ex-ghost faced his brother, he realized how he was scaring him. Levin didn't yet understand death or severe injury. Carlos caught on too.

"Let's...play with these trains for a bit!" The other young boy suggested.

It had gotten late faster than Aphmau expected. She knew full well that it was dangerous to walk around in the dark being female and with 2 children, not to mention being a member of Fairy Tail. She decided that they needed to leave.

"Hey Liz, it's getting dark and I don't want to spend to much time getting home."

"I understand, lets tell the boys that it's time to go." The two women chattered for a bit longer while making their way to the room. When they peeked in, the three boys were happily playing with a train set.

"Hey kiddos, we gotta head out. Say good night to Carlos and lets go!" The kids sadly waved goodbye to their friend and joined their mother at the front door. They made their way outside, getting hit by a chilly beeeze.

"Momma, why didn't you tell us you got hurt?" Malachi asked suddenly. He'd been waiting for the chance to ask since hearing the conversation. Aphmau went silent. She realized very quickly what he was talking about.

"It just wasn't the right time, Love. I needed a bit to heal physically and mentally before sitting you both down to talk about it."

"How did it happen?" Before she got the chance to respond, she paused.

Something was not right.

Aphmau swore she could feel someone's gaze piercing her back.

Someone was following them. Not just someone, a group of people.

"Mom?"

Aphmau picked both of her sons up, dropping her voice to a whisper as the guild fell into view.
"My smart boys, I need you to listen carefully," They both put their heads closer to her face so they could hear better. "I think there's someone trailing us. I need you to run to the guild and get Auntie Katelyn and Uncle Travis."

"Mommy, are you going to get hurt again?" Levin mumbled back. Aphmau could practically feel her heart break in her chest.

"I don't know, Baby. But this is my job. Mommy protects the people that can't protect themselves. I'm going to do my best to not get hurt, but I also need you two to be safe. Do you think you can do that?"

Malachi nodded and grabbed Levin's hand as Aphmau put them down. They were only about 25 feet from the guild. Once they were inside, Aphmau stopped in her tracks. When she turned around, she was met by 4 men, at least as big as Aaron. The biggest difference about Aaron and Aphmau was height. He was just about 2 feet taller than her.

"What is it you want with me?" Aphmau sighed, crossing her arms over her chest. She was far too tired for this. One of them whispered to the other after she groaned in annoyance to break the deafening silence.