The Return of Raven

"Good morning, Everyone!" Aphmau smiled as she walked in, placing Malachi at a table. Travis, who was holding Levin, followed suit.

Aphmau took notice that neither Aaron, nor Natsu and Gray had said good morning back. The air was clouded with unresolved tension

The lord raised her eyebrows at Aaron. His lips were pursed and his fists were clenched. His knuckles were a pale while because of it.

"Aaron?" He finally looked up, easing his muscles just a bit.

"Hm?" That was all he had to say to confirm Aphmau's suspicion. He didn't often zone out. One of his trauma responses was being overly aware of his surroundings. Him and the Team Natsu boys had gotten in a fight. They said SOMETHING to him. Aphmau turned to the table where her guards were.

"You three, we'll be back shortly." Aphmau spoke quietly. Aaron was a tough egg to crack, so whatever they said got him and Aphmau was going to find out. The guards nodded. They would've teased her and asked where they were going together and alone if not for her serious demeanor.

Aphmau grabbed his wrist, pulling him out to the back of the guild. She leaned up against the wall and gently pushed Aaron in front of her.

"Okay, what happened?" Aaron stood against the wall next to her, arms crossed.

"Natsu, Gray, and Gajeel were mad because I didn't come back to help them fight." Aphmau took a moment to examine his face.

"You're always with me so why are they upset now? Of course you'd be with me when I was dying. And not to mention, they're always so cocky about fighting people and winning."

"Yeah, I was confused about that part too. He was talking about he we could've taken down Zane for good, and I get that MAYBE we would've had a chance at winning but we didn't, and we can't change that by arguing about the what if's. I wasn't gonna leave you alone."

"Thanks Bandanna boy," Aaron was preparing to go back inside but Aphmau's lack of movement behind him caused him to pause and turn himself back towards her. "now that we're done with the explanation, tell me the whole truth. What did they say to you thats made you so upset?"

"What are you-"

"Don't you dare play dumb with me, Aaron. What did they say?" He sighed. She wasn't always the brightest but she could tell when her friends were still upset like it was her everyday job.

"They called me selfish. I know it's stupid to get so bugged over this but...it dug up a bitter memory." Aphmau stepped right in front of him, cupping his face in her hands gently.

"It's NOT stupid! They're just rude for saying that!" Aaron slightly leaned in to the warmth of her hand.

"I mean, it's not like they knew about this memory. They didn't know it would be triggering."

"It doesn't matter if they did or didn't know! You weren't acting selfishly at all! You were being the most selfless person I know by sucking up your pride and leaving the fight to stay with me. You saved my life by being with me and even with explanation, they'd never understand. They had no right to call you selfish."

Aaron could only think about how badly he wanted to kiss her after that. He'd never felt so validated in his life. His trauma response was silence, but in that moment, he didn't want to be silent. He wanted to tell Aphmau all about how much he loved her. All he could utter was a thank you.

When they got back inside, the majority of Fairy Tail was there. They didn't take any time to get back to the kids and guards, along with Leona and Kiki.