A Child's Funeral

Aphmau walked into the guild, Aaron's arm was around her shoulder. All eyes were immediately on her. Levin ran towards his mother, his welled up eyes fixated on her with the hope that Malachi would come back.

She picked him up. Her arms felt so light without the two of them. "I'm so sorry, My Love." He looked at his mother with puppy dog eyes. She could feel a wave of more tears threatening to fall, sucking in a deep breath. When the salty water started to slip, she turned around.

The room was silent after her ragged voice rung throughout it. Poor Levin burst into tears.

Without another word, she carried Levin out of the guild. People called out to her nothing could reach her by the time the doors shut. They knew she would never hurt her son but she was practically manic with everything that happened.

Aphmau walked straight into the woods with Levin in her arms. We walked up the hill to the tree and sat down. Levin sat on her lap and she hugged him from behind.

"It's going to be okay, Darling." He turned around to face her with tears spilling down his face. "I'm so sorry." She whispered again. She summoned a blanket and laid it down on the grass. They stayed there till the the sun went down.

Levin didn't let go of her the whole time. He was crying until he fell asleep. It finally hit him that Malachi really wasn't coming back. His other half was gone for good.

Aphmau lifted him up and walked home, holding her sleeping child with tears dried to his cheeks. She tried to focus on anything else. Levin's light blond hair had a small blue tint in the dark of the night. It had grown so much. It swayed just like Laurance's. The kitchen windows were lit up.

Aphmau walked in and shushed the 3 adults who were about to open up a can of questions consisting of where she was and what the hell happened. Walking up the stairs was a struggle for her weakened legs. She opened the door to Levin and Malachi's room and was hit with a sadness that she couldn't shake while looking at Malachi's old bed. She cranked up the music box and let the soft melody ring throughout the quiet room. She laid Levin down carefully and closed the door, making sure not to wake him.

Aphmau slowly made her way back down the stairs and sat with the adults. She laid her head in her arms on the cold wooden table. Lucinda leaned over and hugged her while Katelyn made tea.

"It wasn't your fault." Travis said from across the table. It was like he was taking words from her brain. He didn't handle sentimental moments well and he had nothing else to say.

"I just wish I stayed with them. I have so many regrets that I'll never be able to go and fix." Her voice cracked. "I only have one to protect now. I failed Malachi. I can't fail Levin."

"You didn't fail anyone." Katelyn reminded.

"Yeah right, my son is dead and if I called for Irene just a second sooner, he wouldn't be." She hissed. All three of the adults went quiet. Aphmau took a moment to think about what she said.

"I-I'm sorry, that was a lot meaner than I intended for it to be. I think I need some sleep." They all nodded in understanding.

After getting herself ready for bed, she listened to the clock tick for what seemed like an eternity. The mother was only focused on that until Levin came into her room crying. He needed his mom so badly. She motioned for him to lay down next to her and he immediately attached himself to her side, continuing to sob.

I stayed awake, brushing through his hair until he fell asleep. Once she woke up, she let her guards go to the guild to see what was up while she stayed home taking care of Levin.

There were three days of broken silence in the Phoenix Drop house. Aaron came and visited every day. They would shut themselves off into Aphmau's room where the blindfolded man would be able to affectionately comfort her without the idiotic commentary from the guards. Levin would come in and go out as he pleased, but most days he stayed in.