Their Father's Children

Nekoette had heard Aphmau go downstairs. She knew it was her from the tour of her house when she showed the family where her room was, in case they needed to fetch her. The teenage meif'wa tiptoed into Dimitri's room to wake him up so that they could see where she was going.

Upon awakening, the blue haired boy let out a soft groan of annoyance. He pulled his shoes on so his sister wouldn't have to go out alone. The two of them crept up the stairs and peaked into the kitchen. Aphmau looked around to see if someone was following her and when she saw that 'nobody was', she left the house.

"This is such an invasion of privacy." Dimitri whispered. Nekoette ignored his comment and grabbed his arm, dragging him towards the door.

"Quit being a baby, we gotta hurry."

The two teens rushed out of the house to catch up to her and fell behind after taking notice of her walking pace. They hid behind a big bush at the bottom of the small hill. She was there for five-ish minutes alone, sitting with her arms crossed over her chest and back to the tree. "Let's just go," both teens took notice of the footsteps from further behind them just as they were about to scatter.

The two of them panicked and Dimitri pulled his sister behind a tree that shielded them from the adult's line of sight. Walking up the hill was a man they both recognized from the guild. Aphmau's partner from jobs, Aaron. She sent him a small wave and he sat next to her, wrapping his arm around her shoulder. The two sneaks moved back to their previous spot to hear what they were saying.

"Okay, you know you can talk to me, what's wrong?" He spoke quietly. Nekoette had to relay the conversation back to Dimitri in morse code (through tapping on a tree) since she was the only one of the two who could hear them.

"I'm just so tired. Levin comes into my room almost every night crying because of Malachi. I can still barely comprehend how everything happened and the only thing keeping me from going insane is taking care of Levin." Aaron hugged his girlfriend closer to him and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"You've been so focused on Levin that you've barely been keeping yourself alive...I know it's hard but you at least have to get a good night sleep every once in a while.."

"I just can't...every night I think about how I could've saved him. There are so many things I could've done...and so many things I still need to do." Dimitri looked upset. Nekoette wanted to stay just a LITTLE bit longer. She wanted to know where the conversation was going to go. Aaron needed to change the topic. He couldn't see her like this again.

"Well, can you add getting glasses to your list of things to do? You're blind as a bat." Aphmau punched his arm as he cracked up from his own joke.

"You're so stupid! Talking about blind people, how can you even see with that dumb bandanna on?" Aaron shrugged. Without missing a beat, she threw down his hood and snatched his bandanna from his face.

He reached to grab it but she ducked away and waved it around. "Give it back you Potato!" Potato?! People talk to her like that?! Does he know how powerful of a woman she is?! Nekoette was astonished by the way these people addressed her old lord.

"No! We're gonna sit back down and I'm gonna look at your eyes because- well, they're pretty. I wish you'd stop wearing your bandanna." He sighed in defeat and sat back where they were.

"You know why I can't do that. It's not safe." She sat back next to him and rolled over, resting her head on his lap. The two teens were beginning to think they were a couple. Their suspicions were being confirmed by the second as Aphmau reached up, resting a hand on his face and running her thumb across his lips.

"How long can we talk before Levin wakes up?"

"He's pretty knocked out from the amount of playing he did but just to be safe, I'll go home soon. Hopefully everyone's asleep so I won't have to explain myself again."