First Night Home

"Was that him? The guy that you were talking about this evening?"

"Aaron? Yes, that was him, but for now he's just my friend, okay?" Aphmau sat on the foot of Malachi's bed. He faced his mother with a pout.

Aphmau stood up and kissed both of her boys on the forehead. "If you need anything at all, I'll be in my room, okay?"

"Okay Mommy!" Levin replied with a big, toothy smile. The mother put the wooden music box on the table and turned it on. Within 5 minutes after exiting, tiny snores errupted from their bedroom.

Aphmau sat on her bed and hummed the tune of some songs. Slowly but surely, she found herself drifting into unconsciousness.

After laying in darkness for what seemed like an eternity, Aphmau was awoken by a soft tap on her shoulder.

"Momma?" She sat up groggily and turned on the lamp next her bed. There stood her 2 boys at the side of her bed, Levin had tears streaming down his face.

"Oh no Baby, what happened?" Aphmau rubbed her eyes, hoping to clear up her blurry vision.

"I-I had a nightmare." He was hugging his stuffed animal to his chest. Malachi was standing by quietly as well. Aphmau scooted to the middle of the bed, patting the remaining sides. They got the message, climbing over her and tucking theirselves under the soft covers.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Levin nodded, putting his stuffy in his lap and grabbing a hold of my his mother's arm.

"We were in the woods here and the scary man hit you with his sword and you wouldn't wake u-up!"

"It's okay Hun, that's not gonna happen." Aphmau looked over to her older son. In a weird way, with the moonlight light shining into the room and reflecting on him, he looked rather...ghostly.

"Malachi, are you okay?" He gave Aphmau a short 'tell you later' look. She understood, retracting her question for the time being.

They moved from their sitting up postion to laying down, both of the kids pressing themselves to Aphmau's sides.

"Mommy, can you tell us a story?" Levin asked. The raven haired woman couldn't see her son but she could just tell that he was doing the puppy eyes. She looked over to the clock that was only illuminated by the moon and it read '2:30 am' Aphmau sighed, feeling the wall she had built to guard her emotions crumbling and cracking by the sound of his voice bouncing off of it.

"Of course." Aphmau lowered her voice in order to not wake anyone up and started.

"There was once a guard who carried a mighty sword. Him and his lord traveled through villages on adventures, going far and wide."

"Aren't lords supposed to stay and help the villages though?" Malachi looked up at his mother unknowingly.

"For most lords, that was the case, but this lord was forced away from his people by an invading village. The only person that remaind with him was his guard. Along their travels, they made friends with a poet, dragon, werewolves, and eventually a king."

"What happened there?" Levin yawned, letting me know my storytime was almost done.

"The kind king granted him new land to rebuild a village from scratch and they began to find people to help, including some old villagers."