Trivial Feelings

Aaron could see the pain in Aphmau's eyes whenever she talked about them. They were her gaurds and had the closest relationships to her.

She recounted what took place during her nightmare, and how she felt. Aaron listened the whole way through. She couldn't look at him. She had her arms wrapped around her legs. Her head was pressed against her knees.

Part of Aphmau was hoping Aaron couldn't even hear her.

Aaron wanted to support her so badly. He was so happy that she was at least talking to him rather than holding it until she couldn't anymore. If she'd bursted out crying in the guild, she would never be able to live that down. People in the guild weren't very empathetic.

She finally peeked up at her friend. He hadn't said a word but he was listening intently. The only people who listened to Aphmau this closely were the soldiers she was barking orders at.

Aphmau couldn't stop herself. "Can I hug you?" It was an out of the blue question, considering she would usually just hug without warning. Aaron perked up.

"Of course you can. You don't need to ask." She grinned, leaping forward. She caught him by surprise with a tackle hug that landed him flat on his back against the grass. She was right on top of him. If it was physically possible, Aphmau seemed as though she would've burrowed into his chest right then and there. While she was certainly affectionate, she was never this affectionate.

"I never talk about these kind of things with my guards. That's why Katelyn was getting so frustrated in the guild."

"I got that. You didn't even witness the deadpan glare she looked at me with after I mentioned that you didn't HAVE to say anything. No wonder she's such a prominent guard in Ru'aun, she's crazy intimidating."

"That's her thing. She's a sweetheart once you actually get to know her."

A wave of silence washed over the duo. They were so close to eachother that their heartbeats synced up.
Each breath felt intimate. They had to have realized how this scene would look if anyone had the misfortune to have stumbled apon them, since they were in a tangled mess on the grass. Aaron's hands were around Aphmau's waist while one of the woman's hand's was around her job-partner's neck and the other was lost in his puffy, black hair.

Maybe she likes me more than she let's out. Aaron thought, as he caught Aphmau glancing at this lips. After about 30 minutes of romantic tension, Aaron stood himself and Aphmau up to walk her home.

The only phrase that Aphmau could think of as she quietly stumbled up the wooden stairs of her house to her room was "Why do emotions have to exist?"

When she finally got into her room, she didn't hesitate to flop down on the bed thoughtlessly . "Damn it all to hell..." she murmured against her pillow. All she could think about was Aaron's arms wrapped around her waist. It didn't help that in a moment of desperation to comfort his friend, he rubbed up and down her lower back, as that's where his hands were already. She could still feel the tingling sensation that ran up her spine. She had no clue why she did that. The tackle was uncalled for but MAN did it help.

In order to step away from the thought of Aaron so that she could peacefully lull herself to sleep, Aphmau reminded herself that her dear Leona was coming home tomorrow from her first single job. She couldn't help but feel a crazy amount of happiness for her girl. Obviously, Aphmau wasn't her mother. But she'd taken care of her for so long and would fight for her every second of every hour, need be.

The exhaustion set into Aphmau's mind as she took notice of the clock. It was time she realized she was deserving of rest as well.